Epic fail - natural lighting

knjrphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What can be done to more effectively use natural light? This was taken using light from a large window around 1:30pm.

4663796457_3cec21f960.jpg

its not that bad?

You'll have to do much worse than that for that to be accurately called an epic fail...

the only thing i would have done is place the babies on the other side and slide them a little bit more in the light.

What direction was the window facing? You always want a North or South facing window for the softest light. If it's still too strong (as you feel this is) buy a cheap frosted (cloudy) shower curtain to drape in front of the window to act as a giant diffuser. Just make sure it doesn't have any patterns on it.

You can also move the subject further away from the window.

Well, now I feel like I can maybe mail the proof DVD out. LOL

I don't feel completely awful since I did this shoot for free.

My thoughts are that maybe next time I use some of my lights to fill in the shadows. I think if I didn't feel rushed I would spend a little more time trying to correct problems I see while I'm taking the photos - instead of kicking myself later.

I had really wanted to take pictures of these two when they were just a few weeks old - they aren't technically "newborn" anymore here.

What direction was the window facing? You always want a North or South facing window for the softest light. If it's still too strong (as you feel this is) buy a cheap frosted (cloudy) shower curtain to drape in front of the window to act as a giant diffuser. Just make sure it doesn't have any patterns on it.

I'll have to research that one - I mean ask my husband when he gets home. :lol:

Also, a reflector on the opposite side of the subjects will fill in those shadows for you.

+1, or you could hang some cheap IKEA white linen curtains! :mrgreen:
You may have been able to use a reflector for fill light.

i find that morning light coming through a south facing window works wonders.....but if not i agree w others who say use frosted shower panel

the baby on the right looks like a giant!

That is what I said when I was taking the pictures. I can't remember which is which, but I said "this one has a huge head compared to the other". The parents agreed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back