equestrian photoshoots

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Next weekend I'll be shooting some friends horses .. as a hobby, free, et all
So .. as I peruse the internet for ideas (like here) I'm curious what type of equestrian photography other people have had.

The shots will be in the later afternoon to hopefully minimize bright daylight.

Color of the horses are brown ... though I'm going to double check that.
I'll be doing still poses in addition to more action shots. Of course what type I'm going to request after I figure out what is good.

I'm no expert but have picked up a few tips (if I get these wrong a proper photog with equestrian experience will correct me ). Take a plastig bag (keep hidden) for an assistant to rustle when you want the ears to prick up - no horse owner likes a flat-ear shot as in horse language, that's aggression/fear. Also shooting from the height of the wither or just below will keep their proportions natural for the conformation shots (side on). In trot and walk, try to catch a light stride with the far leg leading - avoid the point where the weight is on the front leg as it looks heavy.

Oh and if they're jumping, owners seem to like shots from 45 degrees or side on to the jump. Catch the point where the front hooves are tucked and the hind legs are full stretch. Remember to get eyes in.

$D7K_4040.jpg$D7K_4161.jpg

Few things I've picked up

1) Avoid short focal length lenses and close up shots - you want to be back using a telephoto otherwise perspective distortion kicks in a lot with a horse and that closer to you belly suddenly gets a whole lot larger (horse ends up looking over weight - to say nothing of the depth of field issues). So shoot further back with more distance and a nice telephoto. 50mm+

2) If you are using any flash/softbox setup setup the lights and bring the horse to the lights not the other way around - that lets them approach slow at their pace to get used to them. Note that many horses today are more used to flash (heck most are likely being flashed seconds from birth with phone/point and shoot cameras) but that doesn't mean they are all spook free - so always check with the owner and work in a safe location.

3) Try to pick up a few body language hints - things like ears folded back and foreleg stamping - as signs of a stressed/upset horse. The trainer/owner/rider should be with you to spot these, but being aware of them yourself will help a lot. A general awareness of horse body language helps also for getting good shots - things like the already mentioned, ears forward (although a sound is good but a bag I'd avoid - seems any bag that blows and jumps around in the air can spook many horses from what I've heard).

4) Horses are big so don't underestimate how far back you have to be for a full profile shot - similarly keep a much bigger awareness of surroundings so that you can get some clean shots without too much distraction in the background (or at least control that background so its suitable).

5) Take some suitable treats (ask the owner before -but apples and mints are favoured options) for the horse. Introduce yourself and get to know the horse a little. Again its building a familiarity with the subject and should help the horse to relax more and pose more naturally.

6) Take it slow - have fun - expect re-shoots - its your first time with a subject you can't totally control. Shooting anything new introduces new skills to learn that you won't pick up first time; but if you take it slow and ensure those involved are having a good time it should go well.

As for idea check out:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmacek/

Go early and see which direction the sun is coming from and walk around to find some good vantage points. Notice the background from different vantage points, I've seen more pictures that are train wrecks because of distractions in the scene that junk up the shot. Take some test shots if need be before they bring the horse(s) to be photographed so you know how to set the camera based on the existing light.

In sports I often focus on a post/pole/painted line or sign etc. where the action will be next, then wait til the action comes to me. That way I'm set and ready when something happens.

At events I tend to hang out and watch/observe, spend some time looking thru the viewfinder, so whoever or whatever I'm photographing will get used to me being there and start ignoring me (or not pay so much attention to me). I usually want to get pictures of whatever is happening so I also usually dress to blend into the background to help minimize me and my camera being a distraction.

(although a sound is good but a bag I'd avoid - seems any bag that blows and jumps around in the air can spook many horses from what I've heard).

Very true - as I said, keep it hidden - plastic bags are horse kryptonite. Anything that makes a crunching or clicking noise will do to make them prick up their ears.

This isn't a equestrian event, but just a photo shoot for some friends.

Part of my community project of "Friends Don't Let Friends Post Awful FaceBook Pictures of Themselves and Loved Ones".
Which Ironically initiated when I saw her pics of her kids and their horses.
:lmao:

Alot of great tips.
I'll definitely won't be using my 18-35mm lens. I was thinking of my 80-200 and 85mm lens on my FF, nothing smaller.
Horses are tall so I'm thinking of bringing a little stepup stool so I can get a better perspective -- is this a good idea ?

So I'll be taking photos of the horses, family next to horses, family on horses trotting around and I assume maybe some small jumps.
Alot of great ideas of which leading legs, etc

I'll be taking my flash equipment but not really sure if I'll use it but if need be I'll bring it out.

Does anyone have any "artsy" photos of horses they would share? I recall someone in the last couple months having some great photos that I liked . I'll be searching back for those threads.

A couple of additional things.
Number one is that if the horse wants to go someplace bad enough - NOBODY will be able to stop him so always have a way to move away.
Some horses have subtle coat colors that show from angles so look for them.
Either walk very close to the horse - lightly touching him as you go by OR walk far away. Never walk at the "end of a kick" distance.
The position of all four feet is usually important.
Unless they are selling the horse(s) or showing it for sale the rider is more important than the horse because it's usually one of the adults young son or daughter.

Last edited:
Rider VS Horse importance - both are of equal value to the photographer. Whoever is the most important depends on the viewer. So I'd say get shots that focus on the rider, get shots that focus on the horse and gets shots that focus on them together. Unless they give you clear orders saying "Just get rider/horse" focus on both of them as subjects.

As for the stool remember that you don't want to shoot "down" at the horse. At eye level or looking up to is generally better (shooting down makes them smaller). I'd guess you shouldn't need a stepladder unless they've got something really massive

I can't offer any advice as I do not have much experiences with horses apart from races events. But I would love to see what you can turn up with...

Horses are tall so I'm thinking of bringing a little stepup stool so I can get a better perspective -- is this a good idea ?

That depends on the scope of the subject. For the entire horse, down to the ground, your camera should be at about the height of the withers. But if you want only from the mounted rider's shins up to his hat/helmet, then getting up a couple of steps might be a good idea.

Thanks for all the comments.
The stool is because *I'm* short and don't want a perspective of looking up for a closer photo. OR for the rider, who is also short, to get a good photo of her right next to her horse at a better height so the eye levels aren't too far apart and stuff like that.
two short people, and a horse which is normally tall .. just trying to think of various things.

oh yeah, I need to buy a reflector at lunch too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back