Equestrians

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Although I have done model shoots and some weddings many years ago, I have not done much portraiture for a long time. I thought combining attractive women with their horses might be a good start back. Your comments and critiques are welcome.

1. It is unfortunate that she is wearing sunglasses, I know. D810, Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD at 135mm, f/3.5, 1/1600s, ISO 400
    frc-equestrian-ctr1502-084-1080x.jpg
  2. D810, Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD at 70mm, f/5.6, 1/800s, ISO 400
    frc-equestrian-ctr1502-019-1080x.jpg

Jim

#1 I don't mind the sunglasses much, but your frame is too tight on the bottom. You need to try for this horse again in his summer coat.

#2 Very nice. I think in this case more blur on the background is not necessary, but just getting the shot without the other riders included would be a major improvement. In spite of the casual attire, this is a shot her BF or parents would buy.

Eventually you can make arrangements to pose these equestrians against better backgrounds, with a little added fill light, and when the horses and riders are better prepared.

on the second one, i am wondering if you would have been better off getting a little closer and using flash. She isn't very well lit and the shot isn't balanced with the sunlight at all. Real nice shots anyway. two cents.

yeah but look at that glowing skin!

I wondered about using flash too - maybe it would have at least given me a nice catch-light in her eyes. But alas, I don't have a flash and wouldn't know how to use it in a situation like this. I do have the Nikon - SB-910 AF Speedlight on my wishlist though.

Jim

The second shot is the best for sure and you've got the right idea! One of the things that I find really makes a shot when combing horses and their owners is to shoot then when they don't expect it. Let them do their thing and just stand back and shoot. You'll get some great interaction shots that don't look posed or like a snapshot.

Most reactions

Back