Equine Portraits

K8-90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some pics I took at the barn, when we had a nice, clear blue sky. These were taken with my Canon P&S, and edited on photoshop. I've been trying to give my shots a more 'pro SLR' feel to them, by adding a fake bokeh and stuff. Did it work, or does it look too obvious? I know i messed up on the last one, because the blur doesn't really match the really depth of field - but most people don't notice ;)

I'm considering offering to sell these to the horses' owners, what do you think?

C&C wanted! (although I also take praise :lol: )

1. Raven
Raven.jpg

2. Woody
Woodycopy.jpg

3. Chase
Chase.jpg

4. Blue
Blue.jpg

Nothing? Are they that boring?

These pics are not what I would refer to as "portraits" 2,3,and 4 are very shapshotty. I like #1 it seems to have a feeling of quiet solitude to it. The other 3 may mean more to someone who knows the individuale horses and their personality. The "nose in the camera" look is not very flattering to the horses. Get the fence out of the way, get in the pasture with the horses. Take off the halter (if you can catch them later without it). When the horse is interacting with you it's the same as if your friends are looking at the camera and making stupid faces. Get candid shots, or atleast have them interact with something or someone other than you and your camera. Go into the pasture with a lunging whip and crack it a few times to get them moving.....no I dont mean crack them with it.

I did alot of equine photography when my family owned Arabians in the 80's. I found that the best shots I took were out in the pasture as the horses were let out in the morning. They run, play, snort, and fight a little. At those times when they are interacting with eachother and not with humans is when a photograph can convey the true nature of these great animals.

Vince

I think they are very nice. I love the 3 first. the last one seems a bit boring or out of focus?

I love the sky also.... looks like a good old crispy winter. I miss my winters :(

These pics are not what I would refer to as "portraits" 2,3,and 4 are very shapshotty. I like #1 it seems to have a feeling of quiet solitude to it. The other 3 may mean more to someone who knows the individuale horses and their personality. The "nose in the camera" look is not very flattering to the horses. Get the fence out of the way, get in the pasture with the horses.
[...]I did alot of equine photography when my family owned Arabians in the 80's.
I think you've got it figured out! Sometimes it's hard to see these things until you've got a third person perspective...They are rather 'snapshotty', and I also think that only their owners/someone who knows the horses would really like them. Except maybe the first one. The nose one is never a flattering pose, just funny and it captures that horse's goofy nature.

I am very jealous that you grew up in a family of horse people, and Arabians no less! What I wouldn't give...

Thanks for the comments!

I think they are very nice. I love the 3 first. the last one seems a bit boring or out of focus?

I love the sky also.... looks like a good old crispy winter. I miss my winters :(

Thanks! It's actually in focus, but the selective bluring I added in PP was not done properly, and I think it goves off that feel... I'm gonna try and dig up the original I think.

And it was the tail-end of winter, crisp but nice! i love winter, but I can't say I'm disappointed to move to spring!

Most reactions

Back