Ethics Poll--Nude work

Nude photography for a public figure...good or bad?

• Total voters

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Just kind of curious to get others' opinions. I'm interested in delving more into figure study and possibly some nude photography (all on the up-and-up, artistic side of things, of course). My wife holds that I shouldn't even think about it, being that I'm a teacher and somewhat in the local public eye because of that.

So what do you think of a person in my line of work (or something similar) doing some nude figure study type photography?

That's a tough one.

I would guess that 99.9% of the people out there would have no issue with it, or wouldn't make an issue out of it. But, I have a feeling there is a tiny percentage that may make a big deal out of it and, beyond that, may try to make a REALLY big deal about it.

So, although I don't think there is anything wrong with it and you should be able to do as you please, you may be running a risk of dealing with quite a bit of nonsense. :roll:

Just my thoughts...

I've given that some thought, also. A lot of my photography is children and will continue to be so, but I'm also interested in doing some figure studies. I could see where that might cause some parents concern, but I see them as two completely separate aspects of my art and don't want one to impact or prevent the other.

What I will probably do is just keep them separate both as far as display goes and also promotion. I haven't done any real nude work for public viewing yet, but I'm pretty sure that time will come. If someone has a real problem with that, then I won't be taking pictures of their kid.

I can see where being a teacher is a concern of a different level. It would be nice to say that as long as you are careful about the age of your subjects that it wouldn't matter, but there are a lot of nuts out there who like to jump to conclusions. But then again, there are also a lot of really horrid drivers, and yet most of us still drive. I guess you just have to determine the risk you are willing to deal with.

I think a lot will be determined by where you live. I'm not sure how conservative Indy is, but I would guess someone in L.A. would be questioned a lot less about this than someone in a small town in the Bible Belt.

Any intelligent person would see no problem with it. it's the unintelligent you have to watch out for.

Your wife doesn't care for it simply because you are her husband, not from the photography point of view. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you behave.

markc said:
I think a lot will be determined by where you live. I'm not sure how conservative Indy is, but I would guess someone in L.A. would be questioned a lot less about this than someone in a small town in the Bible Belt.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, except having been to Indy, I would imagine that it would be at least slightly more conservative than here, for example, which is known for being fairly liberal. (I could be generalizing or just plain wrong though, I fully admit that my notions of Indy are tainted by the homophobic rabid bible thumper that my friend there turned out to be.) So you really need to look to your community to see how reactions there might go.

Sure, it would be the artistically pure thing to say, screw you all, I'm not doing anything wrong, so I won't allow you to force me to compromise my artistic vision... but you have to be willing and able to deal with the consequences of that action, should anything come of it...

dlc said:
Your wife doesn't care for it simply because you are her husband, not from the photography point of view. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you behave.

Sure there are women who might be uncomfortable with the thought of their husband photographing other women in the nude, but to just jump to the conclusion that every woman is going to feel that way is insulting.

It's that 0.1% that will have a cow, get the media involved, and then the schoolboard just fires you because they don't want the attention. A quick Google search turned this up. Doesn't exactly explain a few details I think needed to be mentioned but a firestorm was created out of it before all the facts were even realized.

Figure study is one thing, nudes are another. Do what I did and find dancers, the ballerina type. They pose better anyway and have a better idea of what your doing without having to explain yourself as much. Clad in a unitard (pick a color, any color) and an ability to bend in ways most mortals wouldn't even think of, dancers will expand your horizon the most with what figure study is all about.

It's been a fad lately here in Phoenix with local radio stations to pick out current issues dealing with teachers and sexually deviant behavior, mostly with students though. Though your intentions are purely for art, todays society just can't mix together teacher and nude in the same subject without it being wrong in some way. Might be time to put in an application as an art/photography teacher somewhere maybe. :p

I voted no, I don't think it's a good idea.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, but if you are in the public eye at all and have to ask if you should do something or not, you probably shouldn't.

I agree with pretty much everything that Malachite said above me. It's that .1% that will drag you into some Grand Jury Courtroom and make the national news out of their own stupid ignorance and paranoia.
~Tim

The bottom line is; a couple of narrow minded shmucks can end up making your life miserable. (It's ok to take pictures of a person killing someone though)

shark - not knowing anything of the details at all, i voted no
b/c its secure employment you have by the sound of it.
it isnt worth jeopardising if you are married and own property
and maybe have kids - i dont know your scenarios.

plus i think if two people are together for reasons i think
other than photography, its not ideal for one to make the other feel
insecure, neurotic and uncomfrtable with doing nude whatever with whoever. if both people can handle the daily reality of that then its ok.
thats just my viewpoint, im not trying to write that in to your words.

i do agree with Walts post. i'd be undecided but i voted no.

"if you dont know what to do - do nothing "

I was going to suggest what voods said about the name change, however as a teacher myself, i know how parents/community members can cause trouble.
What you do in your own time is your business and you wouldnt be doing anything wrong or illegal, however there are people if they find out, that will take it upon themselves to ring the school, rind your district supervior, ring the local radio...

My school has had people ring the media over the most pathetic things which got us into trouble. I'd talk to a few othe VERY OPEN MINDED teachers about it perhaps. People that you can trust(I know they are often times hard to find in schools because some teachers tend to gossip) and you know wont judge you for it. Get their opinion...

I'm in the "if it feels good do it" camp, but feel compelled to ask- is there a morals clause in your contract?

A visit with the teachers' union & a haaaaaaack, ptooooie! lawyer might be a good idea. Unless you can support yourself with your photography & don't mind not teaching.

Morally I believe whatever floats yer boat but in your case you'd be antagonizing the missus plus possibly risking a job you need to support your family and your hobbies which include photography itself.
Doesn't sound smart to me.

Most reactions

Back