Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p2139123948-5.jpg

Huh... I saw the title and wondered why Lew hadn't knocked on my door when he was in my backyard...

Neat shot!

Last edited:
...and why is it that they always seem to contain old tires? Interesting capture - the old boat versus the tires.

WesternGuy

...and why is it that they always seem to contain old tires?
Tires are very hard to recycle. Some are ground up for mulch or remanufacturing, but that requires an expensive tire-grinder.

Okay, you lubbers! There is no strange juxtaposition with those tires being piled up near that boat. And it ain't no junkyard either. Look at the tires and you will see they are strung together, in this case with chains. The boat itself is chocked up. It is dry docked for repairs. The tires are used as bumpers to protect the boat as it is being maneuvered about both in the water and in slings, if such are used. They can also be laid down on a beach with a boat on its side and used as a sled to move the boat up to higher ground(probably what they were used for in this instance). Many, many uses for tires around boats.

Traveler, for all your 'worldliness' your powers of observation sometimes fail you miserably! :boogie:

Last edited:
If it is a "dry dock" and I am not saying it isn't, then it looks a bit strange to me with the snow and the rocky gravels. As for the tires, yes I can see the chains, but the tires don't look to be connected, but the boat really looks like it needs to be in dry dock. What we really need here is a wider perspective that will show us the general setting of this whole scene. Traveler, do you have any images that would give us a wider view of what is going on here?

WesternGuy

Strictly speaking that vessel isn't in a dry dock, but is either beached or on ways. Regardless, it's out of the water, and obviously place where it is with care and deliberation. The hull looks in very sorry shape to me, completely stripped of any paint or cladding and with exposed fasteners, it may well have been deemed beyond reasonable repair. With respect to the tires, based on the way their chained and the size of the chain, as well as the degree of marine build-up, I suspect they were once part of a jetty or wharf of some description, or possibly fenders on a slipway.

If it is a "dry dock" and I am not saying it isn't, then it looks a bit strange to me with the snow and the rocky gravels. As for the tires, yes I can see the chains, but the tires don't look to be connected, but the boat really looks like it needs to be in dry dock. What we really need here is a wider perspective that will show us the general setting of this whole scene. Traveler, do you have any images that would give us a wider view of what is going on here?

WesternGuy

No, what we need here is a few people that are actually familiar with fishing boats, and fishing villages. If you would actually LOOK you would see the chain threaded through holes in the tires. AND all dry docks are not what you see in yuppy marinas made for chlorox bottle pleasure boats. A dry dock is nothing more than a verb in most instances. Something you do to a boat to work on it out of the water. Sheeesh! Oh yeah, and it always goes a long ways when you take the time to study up on things you comment on. I doubt a Nova Scotia lobsterman would know scat about raising wheat in Manitoba, and if asked would probably make some pretty wildly funny comments. ;)

TBH, I don't see it as my responsibility to know the provenance of anything that fits in the frame any more than I must be a dermatologist to edit pictures of skin.
There were lots of discarded barrels, containers, some lumber and tires.
It looked like junk.

A fun fact, Lego is the largest tire manufacturer in the world.

Also. The noun "dry dock" refers to a fixed or movable narrow channel type structure that allows water to be pumped in or out so repairs can be made on them.

The verb "dry docked" may in fact be a colloquialism in certain areas of the world to describe a boat that has been removed from the water for varying purposes.

Being from Maine I would call that particular boat "right f*ckered" and go collect some state aid.

edited for brevity...

I doubt a Nova Scotia lobsterman would know scat about raising wheat in Manitoba, and if asked would probably make some pretty wildly funny comments. ;)

Oh ye of little faith...you would be surprised what Nova Scotia lobsterman might know about raising wheat in Manitoba, I know I was when I visited there a few years ago. A lot of them have spent time working on the prairies when lobster fishing wasn't that great. They are part of our internal migratory labour force. One only has to consider the number of folks from the Maritimes and Newfoundland working in the oilfields of western Canada to appreciate this internal workforce.

We Canadians are often well versed in the occupations, and their vicissitudes, of other Canadians in various parts of this country, after all, there are only about 23 million of us and we do move around a lot.

I am not sure that I would agree with your statement - it always goes a long ways when you take the time to study up on things you comment on. If this was the case, then I would have to be a geologist to take pictures of mountain landscapes. Oh yah, I guess I actually am a geologist, or was one a long time ago. I agree with The Traveler in that you don't have to be an expert in everything you photograph. We shall watch you contributions very carefully to ensure that you practice what you preach. I know you post a lot of very nice bird images on another forum, but are you an ornithologist?

30 (Yes, I know what "30" means.)

WesternGuy

edited for brevity...

I doubt a Nova Scotia lobsterman would know scat about raising wheat in Manitoba, and if asked would probably make some pretty wildly funny comments. ;)

Oh ye of little faith...you would be surprised what Nova Scotia lobsterman might know about raising wheat in Manitoba, I know I was when I visited there a few years ago. A lot of them have spent time working on the prairies when lobster fishing wasn't that great. They are part of our internal migratory labour force. One only has to consider the number of folks from the Maritimes and Newfoundland working in the oilfields of western Canada to appreciate this internal workforce.

We Canadians are often well versed in the occupations, and their vicissitudes, of other Canadians in various parts of this country, after all, there are only about 23 million of us and we do move around a lot.

I am not sure that I would agree with your statement - it always goes a long ways when you take the time to study up on things you comment on. If this was the case, then I would have to be a geologist to take pictures of mountain landscapes. Oh yah, I guess I actually am a geologist, or was one a long time ago. I agree with The Traveler in that you don't have to be an expert in everything you photograph. We shall watch you contributions very carefully to ensure that you practice what you preach. I know you post a lot of very nice bird images on another forum, but are you an ornithologist?

WesternGuy

No prob Mate. My degree says BS in Geology as well! small world eh? I got on Travelers case because he has in the past landed pretty dammed hard on some people who made observations about his postings...things about the locales and people and such. That others felt obliged to jump into a coal bin without lanterns is there problem wouldn't you say? And as a non sequitur your bringing in degrees and such is a world class one.

edited for brevity...

WesternGuy

No prob Mate. My degree says BS in Geology as well! small world eh? I got on Travelers case because he has in the past landed pretty dammed hard on some people who made observations about his postings...things about the locales and people and such. That others felt obliged to jump into a coal bin without lanterns is there problem wouldn't you say? And as a non sequitur your bringing in degrees and such is a world class one.
Sounds almost reminiscent of a discussion on boilers & boiler safety from a few weeks back! ;)

Ok, well the fact that the boat is chocked really doesn't prove that it's awaiting repair. Even if the boat was considered beyond repair it's quite possible they chose to put it up that way in the hopes of eventually stripping off useful parts and selling them.

The tires with the chains likewise could have simply been transported with the boat or discarded at a later point. Truth is no way to be 100% certain from what information we have available.

I guess I'm not really seeing the point of the conversation from the get go, it's not really related to C&C of the image itself.

Just my 2 cents worth, and for the record high school diploma born and raised in Nebraska, so not an ocean within a thousand miles.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back