Event Coverage (small scale) and the way companies handle it.

GrantH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be as vague as possible, while still giving clue to the situation at hand.

I recently went to an event and covered it as a spectator. I was told prior to my arriving that a media pass would be available, so my thought process was that it would be free entrance and they would get the jpg files or have some time frame for turn around on edits. Not the case. I arrived early, prior to pretty much anyone else's arrival to figure out the details and get the day started. Pull to the entrance an ask about media, get told I am entering as a spectator, 15 cash (only plastic in my wallet as I don't know the area), and no special access to off limit areas to spectators.

Mindset goes to "It's cool, I will still cover said event for my own personal gain and practice." I get a good amount of solid photos for my own FB fan page and building my lack of portfolio. I messaged about coverage before the event once more, with no response, so I was still just going to go and figure out once there. I just got a response tonight asking for coverage once it was finished (ha!). Is it really normal for companies to expect coverage by simply asking for it? While I am no professional with 30 years behind me, I do value my work in some fashion. Coverage isn't worth much, I realize that, so I went the route of him getting 10 web sized / medium resolution photos if he would plug my name/page when posting the photos to their facebook. They get a lot more traffic than I do, so I feel that it is fair. Others have already found my page and could possibly ask for prints as well.

I guess my situation turned out fine, but I just figure these companies would have a person on email constantly to be in contact and situate these types of situations.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite clear. You went with the expectation of shooting under credentials, but your media pass wasn't there so you shot for yourself and they asked your for images after the fact? Not normal in my experience, and I would tell them to go jump!

I'm sorry, I'm not quite clear. You went with the expectation of shooting under credentials, but your media pass wasn't there so you shot for yourself and they asked your for images after the fact? Not normal in my experience, and I would tell them to go jump!

Quite clear, actually lol. It was something I planned on going to regardless of credentials, though I was told a pass would be given to me when I arrived/asked for it at the gate. They seemed clueless for media stuff, so I paid the entrance fee and shot for myself. Luckily, I have interest in a couple shots already, as well as a bunch of new "fans" whether or not that means anything...at least they are seeing my work and capabilities.

Let me see if I got this straight:
You were contacted or in contact with someone prior to the event discussing 'coverage' of the event. You were told that there'd be a media pass for you at the door. You arrived at the door and discovered that there was no such thing and that you also had to purchase a ticket to get in the door.
After the fact the person you were in contact with re-contacted you wanting images from the event?

OH HELL NO.
Sorry, not gonna happen.

Make sure that everything you have on-line anywhere is heavily watermarked in a way that can't be removed without altering the image.

After the fact the person you were in contact with re-contacted you wanting images from the event?

OH HELL NO.

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Why not??

Attach a price tag to them and let THEM decide it ain't gonna' happen...

I've had a couple inquiries from drivers already, so it was not a wasted trip at all. The event coordinator and I have worked out an advertising deal for a few low-res websized images in return.

Sounds like you're handling this okay Grant. Sounds like a screwup on their part, and like you are making the best of their mess-up.

I've had a couple inquiries from drivers already, so it was not a wasted trip at all. The event coordinator and I have worked out an advertising deal for a few low-res websized images in return.

Agree with Derrel, sounds positive, and unusual. In my experience, when something like that happens, the 'after the fact enquiry' is almost always nothing more than a fishing expedition for free images.

Agree with Derrel, sounds positive, and unusual. In my experience, when something like that happens, the 'after the fact enquiry' is almost always nothing more than a fishing expedition for free images.

I think it was, but a "free" action by them allows me to gain a few viewers for myself so everyone gets what they really want.

Couple things come to mind. If there was more that one entry, you may have simply gone to the wrong entrance.
Having a cousin that's a semi-famous DJ, I have seen that backstage/media entrances are different and can be unsuspecting.

Have you expressed the mix up to the person that sent you? They may be able to look into the situation or figure out what happened. They would likely want to know if their connections let THEM down too. They may also choose to reimburse you.

That said, if it's some indy web blogger that sent you on a goose chase thinking you could sneak some access and in reality they didn't do anything for you, I wouldn't do business with them period. Sounds like you got your $15 worth in either case.

I sold an image, got a little advertising, and have had an image used for a flier with my logo attached, from this trip alone. I'm happy with the outcome and possible other sales from it. I am however going to message the guy and let him know what happened with the media pass and what not, in a non-confrontational way. There was only one entrance an I spoke directly to the manager of the event about media, through their business email. I went as freelance, and ended up going for that with a 15 dollar charge. No big deal but things will be more clear next time. Amazing event though.

Most reactions

Back