Event Flash Photography

Gavin Buckle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need to do event photography particularly of awards evenings etc. An on camera Speedlite just does not give the correct light. The idea would like to use 2 x studio strobes each placed on lighting stands at either side of the stage.

The options would be: Falcon Eyes 600w/s Satel Portable Battery-Operated Studio Strobe with HSS (cannot be used with mains power) or the Cononmark B4 Battery-Powered Portable Studio Flash (400w/s) (can tricky charge while in use).

I would prefer strobes that can be used with battery and mains. These would be more versatile.

Any comments, general or specific advice would be most appreciated!

It sounds like you're outside of North America, so it's hard to give recommendations on specific models, but any ~250 w/s light should do the job. A moonlight will definitely produce a better result IF your subjects are all at a fixed point, but if they walk around the stage, come out into the audience, etc... not so much. In that case a hand-held speedlight on a TTL cord is a good option.

When lights are on stands that don't move... they work well for subjects that are placed at some target location where the light has been optimized to that location.

Due to the nature of the "inverse square law", the power of the light needs to change if the subjects are nearer or farther.

So if, for example, you are taking photos of people as they are presented with awards... and each time they come up to the stage they stand in approximately the same spot (distance from the light isn't substantially different) then a light on a stand would probably work. But if the subjects of your photos are in random locations, then the light stands would likely need power adjustment or have to be moved for each shot ... and that probably won't work so well.

Most reactions

Back