Event photography

kevinfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Kevin and I'm looking to get into event photography. I wanted to know if you guys had any tips on how to break in? Thanks

What sort of events are we talking about?

Red carpet, movie premier, corporate events, fund raisers. All of them I guess!

Find the company organizing the event and make friendly with someone. Its as easy/difficult as that.

probably want to start with a camera. then go to an event and shoot away - you are now an event photographer! are you talking business or hobby, selling to newspapers, paparazzi?

Movie premieres and the like usually have people working for medias. You can try the big medias, but have a google search for web medias in your city.
Contact the editor, have a portfolio ready. Doesnt need to be a huge portfolio, just something that shows you know what you are doing.
Send it in.

For corporate events, its about connections. As someone said, get to know the organizers. Tap your personal network if you know anyone on a committee. These things are boring as hell, but can pay very well :)

I live in LA. Thanks for feedback. I think contacting organizers is the way to go. Finding them might be the hard part!

Hello. Since very seldom a picture of two (four) people will show all the grandeur of the event, I use to make a poster with the building (or the room) besides the couple. And below, the title: Ball der Wiener Philarmoniker 2012, for example. The customers like it very much ;)

I find that buildings are more appealing by night. Good luck.

I live in LA. Thanks for feedback. I think contacting organizers is the way to go. Finding them might be the hard part!

Naw, finding them is the easy part. Getting them to pay you is the hard part. Just go to an event. Dress nice. And ask the photogs working who is in charge and who to talk to. Find your people and get their respect and they will probably help you if you are serious and have the talent. No pics so judging talent is a bit difficult here.

Hello. Since very seldom a picture of two (four) people will show all the grandeur of the event, I use to make a poster with the building (or the room) besides the couple. And below, the title: Ball der Wiener Philarmoniker 2012, for example. The customers like it very much ;)

I find that buildings are more appealing by night. Good luck.

Sounds like a good thing for a diptych or triptych. Those are all the rage now.

Most reactions

Back