Ever been harrassed whilst photographing?

This year, there has been talk of photographers being unfairly treated when taking photos out in public by security guards, police etc.

Actually, just the opposite; when I used to wander around downtown in the early morning hours watching the bats, I would get checked by the police at least once a night. If I take a camera, they can darn well see what I'm doing, so they wave and go on by.

Since I work night security, any guard who questions me gets to see my guard card, and no other ID. At that point, they know that I know I didn't even have to show them that, and if it goes any further, (assuming I'm not actually on private property at the time) one of us will be calling the police. Since the odds around here are about 80% or better that we work for the same company, I can quote the handbook and the state laws at them if they even think about overstepping their bounds.

If the police show up, they get the driver's license, and four different IDs that each required a fairly intense background check. Most of them barely even bother calling in the driver's license at that point, because even an unpaid parking ticket would risk three of those.

For all of the above, I keep a voice recorder running in my pocket, and I have my attorney's cell phone number (and my security company's 24hr snitch line) on speed dial.

As for the times when I'm working security, P&S shooters off the property just get their picture taken for future reference, on the property, they get a reminder that it is technically a closed site, and that they are being recorded by the surveillance system. (As long as they don't cause any damage or try to get into a secured area, I don't mind babysitting for a few minutes while they get their shots and get gone.) SLR shooters get approached immediately and asked if they have any Minolta glass they want to get rid of. :mrgreen:

Battou said:
I got a security guards spotlight right in the face wile doing some night shots because the security guard thought that very same thing.

I wish our company would shell out for a $150 night vision scope for the post, but I do have my own, and a good set of binoculars too. IMO, it's better if you don't know I'm watching until I'm sure of what you're doing. After all, if that guard had been right, what would have stopped you from shooting his spotlight and/or him? If I were the guard, I'd prefer that your first indication that your assassination attempt was compromised be when you wake up with a bad headache and a couple of cops sitting on you.

Last edited:
I have not been harassed, even while shooting in plazas or large stores. I avoid using a tripod, carry just what I plan to use, look like a tourist, and stay on the move. A tiltable LCD allows me to shoot from the waist.

skieur

I don't have an elaborate story, but I have had the police called on me because some guy believed that I was planning a robbery by taking photos of his home.

Question authority......Every single time........

QUESTION AUTHORITY. :thumbup:

IMO complacency is the first step to losing freedoms.

And for Mr. Battou, you could explain that the policeman was coming by to make sure everything was okay. They do that on children shows all the time, so they'd probably buy it.

IMO the whole photographs for casing thing is probably coming from people who have watched one too many detective movies. If you were gonna case a house, would you really take a gripped SLR with a 70-200 on the front? THey only do sh*t like that in the movies. Besides, if a robber had that sort of equipment, HE WOULDN'T NEED TO ROB YOU! He could sell it for the price of a used car!

This year, there has been talk of photographers being unfairly treated when taking photos out in public by security guards, police etc. What are your opinions of this matter? Personal stories to share?

Cheers

No stories to share yet.

If confronted, it would quickly turn into a confrontation :)lol:) though.

A Uk Version or more specifically Scottish Version (in Queens English!!! not in the Scottish language! I can hardly read that bloody stuff! It takes me about 50 minutes to read "The Broons" Because i cant understand wth it says! "yer Maw is awa wa Paw an Aunti Perl ye ken berns noo go gie mie mah sel a wee break tae rest mah feet oan the pilly." (thats actually an EASIER version to read haha!)

Can you PM me the link to the Scottish version? I'm going to be there next summer and would like to know what is allowed/not allowed

Not me, but more than ten years ago, my father, brother, and an uncle were in Croatia on volunteer work. None are photographers, but my brother had his film P&S camera with him to document the trip. Well, he didn't realize that in a war-torn country, you don't go around just shooting photos of buildings!!

He took a photo of a building he thought looked interesting and very soon they were arrested and held up for several hours because the building had been taken over by the gov't and all. His film was taken/destroyed, which means he lost other shots he'd taken, including when he had gotten to meet somebody famous (I forget who), so that was sad for him. But, thankfully, the cops were really nice to them the whole time and no harm became them. In this day and age of digital photography, I wonder if they would've just let him delete the offending photos or if they'd have taken the whole card (since there are ways of retrieving deleted photos)?

i recently took s trip to washington dc and was questioned by the secret service for taking these shots lol....needless to say i didnt give them any sh!!t. after answering a few questions i was let go and told to walk away lol. by the way the korean predident was there that day and i did get pics of the president walking into the white house before i was asked to leave. needless to say walking around with a huge lens and all by myself probably looked pretty suspicious lol. situation scared the crap out of me...here are a few of the pics.

5373_1109407613973_1190332671_30317491_4830322_n.jpg

5114_1093688100995_1190332671_30268593_4442648_n.jpg

5373_1109405573922_1190332671_30317479_5533430_n.jpg

5373_1109405533921_1190332671_30317478_2716116_n.jpg

5373_1109405493920_1190332671_30317477_197227_n.jpg

5114_1093687540981_1190332671_30268579_307854_n.jpg

5114_1093687460979_1190332671_30268577_5873060_n.jpg

5114_1093687500980_1190332671_30268578_5500461_n.jpg

hahah... taking pics of the helicopter and security details...

:lol: You are SO on a list.

Wth is that!!?!?!!?! Is that the Super Duper Extra Strong Satelite to watch and hear what everyone in a 7000 mile radius says and does?

I do a lot of trolling in the truck with the 500mm hanging out the window on a Kirk window mount. I have been stopped on numerous occasions by Local & Park police because they have received call-ins about someone with a large rifle scope sticking out a truck window....:er:. Once they see what is going on, we get a good laugh and move on....

Now all the locals wave at me when they see me trolling around the back roads & parks. They have told me they have no problems with what I do, as long as I am not being a traffic hazard.

I was detained at Hartsfield International Airport (ATL) last week by Atlanta PD. A security guard instigated the first confrontation, after which I then asked to speak with a badged law enforcement officer. She walked away, about 100 yards, so I began to take a few pictures of her since I didn't catch her name, in case something were to happen to me or my camera.

Twenty minutes passed, and I had gotten all the pictures that I wanted, so I began walking to my car to leave. As I was exiting the parking deck an LEO stopped me with the security guard, asked me to get out of my car and for my license, and then put me in handcuffs. For the next two hours I sat in the police precinct inside the airport and was interviewed by the FBI, Homeland Security, Atlanta PD, and Airport Operations. Apparently, I needed a permit from Airport Operations/Homeland Security to take photographs.

Luckily, I had "The Photographers Rights" on me and was released without any charges. LINK

A full police report will be available within five business days and I plan to contact the Atlanta Journal Constitution to see if they are interested in a story.

I was very polite and cooperative. The arresting officer actually happened to be an avid photographer and I gave him a link to the site... We'll see if he joins.

Silverado, that's crazy. Where exactly were you taking pictures? Because I've always though it'd be interesting to set up in the Atrium area and get shots of people rushing around and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back