Ever bought a used lense?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Jusat curious if i could save me some money. When is it recommendable? What criterias do i need to look after?

I have bought several used lenses, and am quite happy with them. Find a trusty seller, and read the description. I've bought from eBay, as well as a store in Berlin.

Scratches on glass? Is the focusing action smooth? Zooming action (if applicable)? If it is older, check for "clouded" glass (bad). Exterior scrapes and scratches don't bother me, but it affects the price.

Make sure it comes with all the caps, and better yet the lens hood, original packaging, and manuals / warranty info.

Most of my lenses of various brands were purchased used. Mostly from a reliable local dealers and through ebay. My taste in stuff is a bit too expensive to purchase new all the time.

I don't mind cosmetic problems... Operation must be relatively smooth (aperture and zoom ring)... Minor scratches on glass is ok. Slight cloudy elements which is common on old glass os ok just as long it isn't too bad. I've even paid to have certain glass CLA'd assuming that I get a good deal from purchase.

If the lens is good... I also don't mind missing caps, hoods, or packaging...

Yep. Used to have camera "swap meets" in LA. I'd take a body, test them, buy 'em, hope for the best. Happened 3 times. Great every time.

Ebay, I trust maybe not so much. Need that touchy-feely.

adorama is very nice..

hmm thinking about it, i am yet to buy a used lens?
But then again, i have not spent more than 400 on a lens.. My first used will be the 17-55 2.8 unless i feel like paying extra 300 for new.

I would not worry though... I have no issues buying used equipment, just yet to do so

Yes, I once bought a f. 2.8 200mm prime lens. It was free of scratches and signs of heavy use and it produced some extremely sharp photos over several years of heavy use.

skieur

I bought used off of keh.com. Their rating system favors the buyer. I bought a lens that was considered "Budget", and the elements were flawless and only a few dings on the lens barrel. They come highly recommended.

I've bought and sold used cameras and lenses off of craigslist, very happy with it.

I've bought and sold used cameras and lenses off of craigslist, very happy with it.

Someone put my cell phone number on Craigslist for 'sex' and I had a bunch of gay guys calling me. It sucked. I had so many creepy voicemails. I ended up having to change my number, haha.

As far as used lenses go, I'd say just handle it like you would any other purchase on the internet, carefully. Buy from a reputable and reliable source, and make sure that if there's anything wrong with the item, the return will be relatively easy. I personally have never bought used, but I've had lots of friends that have bought various items used, and never really ran into any big problems. As far as most reliable places to buy used, I'd say Adorama and B&H Photo, as I've had great luck buying new items from them.

Good luck.

On top of what Iron Flatline said, also make sure the Aprature ring moves properly. It is one thing if it is stuck on A (when aplicable) but a hole diffrent thing if it's stuck at an F/stop or worse yet completely free.

And I will repete the thing about the caps.....I have bought lenses with out them be it with a camera or just the lens it self. It gets irritating trying to decide what lenses to take because you only have so many caps.

I have bought from KEH for an excellent lens and it was and is excellent.

I've bought a lot of used lenses over the years, though I prefer to buy my high-end lenses new because the price of a used example with perfect glass is often close to the new price. Keh ratings, as already mentioned, favour the buyer. They ship worldwide.

Look through the lens at a bright light - this should show all the scratches (euphemistically called 'cleaning marks' by some sellers), dust and bubbles but don't be too alarmed. Do it first with your own lenses to get a feel for how many imperfections there can be in lenses that perform quite well.

Check the collimation if you can - when set to infinity, does it focus at infinity? This isn't always critical, but it can be a sign of something being amiss.

Good luck,
Helen

Most reactions

Back