Ever Kicked Yourself For Not Having Your Camera?

I keep most all my gear with me at all times .Never leaves my truck.Never know when a shot will present itself.

I know the answer to this is probably either yes or I am never without my camera.

My wife and I took our youngest on a college visit today. I didn't want to embarrass her by looking all touristy and what not. Plus, I figured we'd be indoors most of the time, in libraries, etc. So I left it in the car. Anyway, 5 minutes into the tour we get these awesome and terrifying dark clouds rolling in and they look just gorgeous as backdrops for these beautiful buildings and landscaping. Three times I said to my wife, "Dang, I should have brought my camera!" But then the skies opened up and it proceeded to pour rain all over us as we walked through the rest of the tour. We were drenched - rain was dripping from our clothes. So, after all I guess I was glad I didn't have my camera.

There have been many times I wished I had my camera with me when I passed interesting things or people. I really hate to miss pics of interesting folks.

Once when I was in Maui for my 10th wedding anniversary with my wife, we were on the Road to Hana. I had my camera with me and we had stopped at the Garden of Eden for lunch and to tour/take photos. This BREATHTAKING woman and her husband/date/boyfriend stepped out of a rented Hummer for a quick photo and asked me to take their photograph since I was standing there shooting images anyway. I said sure!

I'm telling you -- she was a super model. No joke. I truly think she was a Victoria's Secret model or something similar because I was numb just looking at her. Blond, blue, busty, tan with a foreign accent. I WISH I had said sure, but can I also get one of you with my camera? But I was scared to ask, so I didn't get the shot.

Wow. What a wasted opportunity.

Yes, pretty much periodically if not daily. I suppose I should carry a camera in the auto, but the 7D is too inconvenient to carry along at all times.

Many times usually in early morning, when I am head for a coffee and news paper. In the last week, I have seen hawks, doe with fawn, fox, and sunrises. There is no way for me to handle much more than coffee and a paper for a few more weeks. I really miss not being able to us my camera I am grounded for 6 to 8 weeks. But the good thing is that I have some photos that need processing.

Many years ago (like 20 or more?) I saw a double rainbow, both of them in a big complete perfect circle around the sun, bright and beautiful. Quite a phenomenon, and only lasted a minute or two - a minute or two without a camera anywhere near me. I was out in the field with a good friend and coworker in North Carolina doing some engineering work with pencil, paper and measuring devices but no camera, and we just stared in wonder until it disappeared.

My Nikon F Photomic was back at the motel. I think that was the last time I was without a camera.

If this happens to you a lot and it bothers you, yet you can't imagine lugging a dSLR around, you could consider a class of camera like the Canon S100. A subset of "Point and Shoots" are manufactured these days with many of the same software and menu options and controllability and sensors of a DSLR, with the only real differences being lack of lens versatility (since they are not interchangeable) and a slightly less accurate viewfinder/autofocus (not an SLR).

But critically, they fit in your pocket... And offer more than enough power and control for a competent photorapher to get wonderful professional grade images of any "normal" photography opportunity you might stumble across (one that does not rely on extreme equipment).

Last edited:
One morning there were over 200 wild turkeys in a farm field grazing. Sure wish I had my video cam with me. My next purchase will be a point & shoot with video to carry for convenience instead of my camcorder or Dslr. I've seen video with the compact Sony HX9V that was very good quality.

I used to always have a camera with me, a couple of times it raining and decided not to, worse possible times for me. This was back before everyone had a cell phone and I happened across a police take down in the middle of the street, guns out, just like a movie scene, and I stood and watched for a moment and then kept walking, kicking myself. The second time, I decided to leave the car at home and jump the bus downtown, moments before a transport truck had jumped through a guard rail and landed on the transit way killing a family. while the scene was horrible, I was there before police, didn't matter, nothing could be done and no camera. These are rare.

Now everyone has a cell phone and video.

Just twice. When I got home I went online and ordered a Canon SX260. I got a case for and carry it always in my cargo shorts. One morning I was out hiking on a nearby street in the dark and I missed another. When I got back I ordered another SX260, got a case for it and now carry it with me in my hiking shorts. It makes a big bulge in my pocket but that a small price to pay. Now I can get photos like this:

IMG_0193 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For not having my gear, and for not stopping to take the picture when I did have my gear.

last fall on the drive back from work I saw a cougar (mountain lion) run across the road into the bush, well everything but her head. The tail was unmistakably cougar though. She had abandoned her two young cubs in her haste and they were just sitting there beside the road looking up at us in the now stopped truck. I didn't want to stick around for long because there was a bit of traffic on the road and I wanted to give them a chance to reunite and go somewhere safer but if I had had my camera with me I'm sure I would have stuck around long enough to get an incredible shot!

Now I keep my camera + lenses in my truck so it's always with me. Fortunately I'm far enough out there I don't have to worry about theft and the pelican case they are in protects it from just about anything else. The problem these days though is lack of time :meh:

Most reactions

Back