Ever take a trip just for photography?

EZzing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't mean for paying photography jobs. I mean for personal fun and enjoyment.

I'll be heading for the Gulf of Mexico the day after Thanksgiving with one of my adult sons. No wives or girlfriends etc. It would be nice if they were with us, but they can't get away from work. :(

My sons and I love photography and get out a couple of days a week to shoot and take day trips here and there. This one is for a week.

I've been cleaning my lenses and replacing the light seals in a few old cameras I've been wanting to test.

I have a couple of day trips planned. One to Mobile and one to Pensacola to the Naval Air Museum. I should shoot a few rolls and fill up a 2 gig sd card or three!

Well that's my fun story. Where have you gone or do you want to travel to to shoot ?

I want to go to England and the Netherlands with my cameras. I'll probably travel alone for this one because I would absolutely bore my wife with my cameras and my sons with everyday trips to the museums and PUBS LOL.

Bill

I went to San Diego, LA, and some place in then NYC area.

And it was paid by them. The plane ticket, the hotel, the rental, all my food. everything!

My best photos were taken when I was on trips on my own, just me and my camera.

what part of england would you guys like to photograph?

Yes, I have gone on trips that were planned with the major focus on photography. Short day trips as well as longer ones. While in my head I planned everything with the camera in mind, the family did not! So going with either husband or even the entire family is a bit AGAINST travelling for photography alone ... :roll:

So yes, I do best when I am all on my own.

And EZzing, if you want to travel to Europe, and if PHOTOGRAPHY is to be foremost on your agenda, why not come to the North Germany TPF Meet-Up next year in May (24-31 May)????????? You'd be surrounded only by fellow madmen (and madwomen), and visits to pubs, or catering of beer, has for long been part of my plannings!! ;)

ALL my trips in the past 8 years have been for photography, I need a life!

Most of the trips I have taken have been seen through the viewfinder of a camera. I am not sure if that counts but all my vacations have been photo-heavy.

I do, practically everyday. I normally work from 5am-1pm, go home, get cleaned up, grab my board, go surf, then kill a couple hours after surfing just dicking around and taking shots. Oahu has MANY places to explore so I try to keep myself busy.

I went to town the other day just to take some pictures and i was told off in the shopping centre for using my camera. TSK!! Naughty naughty!

Oh yes, Lisa_B, shopping centres or malls are tricky places for photography. When we had our TPF Meet-Up in London in September of last year, we went to Canary Wharf for some photography, and we also took some pics in the Shopping Centre there, but got approached by a security person who told us that taking pics with compact digital cameras was ok, but with DSLRs was NOT ok and would need to get approved by the ... forgot the name, person responsible for it all, see.

But how silly to be thinking that photos taken with a compact are less a photo than those taken with a DSLR :scratch: :er: :confused: ...

But back to the question: today, I actually even subconsciously plan each and every WALK through the woods round here as a possible photo op, and I plan further outings even more so (and will always bring the camera along!), and longer trips/family holidays/trips to TPF Meet-Ups (;)) are always planned as "photography trips". And I begin to feel that it makes you see and look at things differently - and not necessarily "differently" in "like with blinkers on the side" (only because you have "viewfinder vision" at all times), but more FOCUSED.

If I may add a little story that kind of underlines this?
I was visiting with an elderly friend the other day and we went to my favourite old cemetery in Bremen, where there still are a good many nice, old tombstones and tomb-statues. I had been to that cemetery only twice before, once in May of 2006 and once again at the end of October of this year. The elderly friend's parents grave is on that cemetery, as is her husband's ... which means she goes there pretty regularly.

And then I started to point out all the lovely stones I had photographed before and knew about "that angel" and "the other angel" and so on and she said to me, "Oh dear, I come here so often, and - believe it or not - I have NEVER noticed these before, and you have been only twice and know them all?!?!?!"

That showed me that, indeed, you may well look more closely when you have that "viewfinder-vision" than you do otherwise.

Oh yes, Lisa_B, shopping centres or malls are tricky places for photography. When we had our TPF Meet-Up in London in September of last year, we went to Canary Wharf for some photography, and we also took some pics in the Shopping Centre there, but got approached by a security person who told us that taking pics with compact digital cameras was ok, but with DSLRs was NOT ok and would need to get approved by the ... forgot the name, person responsible for it all, see.

But how silly to be thinking that photos taken with a compact are less a photo than those taken with a DSLR :scratch: :er: :confused: ...

yes I remember that only too well, the jobsworth asthma police security guard made a beeline straight to me, "what job you doing?" then started hassling me because I had a big camera, therefore I must be a pro newspaper photographer, well sorry mate but I take good photos :lol:

yeah just pick on the fat bloke as he is an easy target GGRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr

people like that make me sick

yes I remember that only too well, the jobsworth asthma police security guard made a beeline straight to me, "what job you doing?" then started hassling me because I had a big camera, therefore I must be a pro newspaper photographer, well sorry mate but I take good photos :lol:

people like that make me sick

me too.

Last time that happened to me, I released a never ending flow of English words onto the security people.

I guess this only worked since I was in France :lmao:

I've taken a long trip for photography-related workshops, which is always so much fun. And I've planned vacations where there is scenery galore and packed various formats with specific film in mind (the 35mm for HIE, the 645 for MF landscape, etc).

Do I always come home with great pictures? Nope. But I know I had a blast and was still learning while shooting. I always travel with photography in mind; for me it goes hand in hand. :)

Most reactions

Back