What's new

Everyone seems to like this picture

G. Ike

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
145
Reaction score
1
Location
Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the one picture that everyone who's seen it likes. I wanted some deeper opinions though other than "Hey! Looks good!". I was wondering what you guys thought of this photo. Thanks in advance!

George

DSCF0028.jpg


FujiFilm FinePix S700
 
well if you want an opinion here it is

here is what is wrong:
out of focus, or soft focus take your pick
the sky is blown out and booring
the subject is centered, which is bad IMO
horizon isnt straight (judging by the roof of the barn i could be wrong)
the foreground is a little bit distracting.

here is what is right:
people like it
its a pretty interesting picture
it can be made into a more interesting picture. ill play with it a little bit and show you what i get
 
just a few tweaks

2980299432_ff53b4b148_o.jpg



most of the edit was some bump in contrast and lowering brightness plus a more interesting crop.
 
good crop but i think the image is still too far away, also its slightly off at an angle

i like the reflection though, probably no photo elements there though

take my advice lightly- im a n00b =)
 
Personally I like the original better. It's overall pleasing to the eye.
If anything, I would have like to see more of the big (willow?) tree on the right side of the image.
 
Untitled-1-4.jpg


I got bored so here is my take on it. Just messed with brightness and contrast of rgb channels. Curves adjustment, vignette, and crop. There is alot of good detail here, but the barn seems to be slightly oof. Nice catch.
 
It sure is the reflection of the house in the water of the pond that makes people say they like this photo. A reflection is always a nice element in a photo, and like sunsets, reflections on water surfaces seem to attract many viewers.

However (and this only repeats what others have said before me), compositionally, your version is a tad boring, what with house and its reflection finding themselves very close to the absolute centre of the photo, hence the suggested crops give composition more of the imbalance that makes it interesting in the end. (For in most cases with landscape photography, a slight imbalance is the factor that gives an image the necessary "tension" to make it interesting to look at.) Only in some cases, total symmetry works.
 
Thanks for all of the edits guys! I love hearing what everyone thinks so I can make the shot a little bit better next time.

AF44 - I see what you mean, the crop really does make a big difference.

Digijay - That is a willow tree, and I took a few shots with more detail in the tree and I thought they were just too busy.

Pleasetakeitkind - Thanks! Your edit is my favorite. I didn't realize the barn was that out of focus though. Is that an error on my part or on the camera's AF?

Lafoto - Thanks for your input.

One day this week, if I'm not too busy with my girlfriend, school, homework, cycling and marching band I'd like to walk back down to the area and reshoot. I really wish we owned property like this, its gorgeous.
 
yes, I would crop it a bit too. I like everything but the stone in front of the picture :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom