Examples of the "Rule of thirds"?

Dweller

Inconspicuous Supporter
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if some of you kind people could post or link me too some examples of photos that follow the "rule of thirds". Silverlights tutorial had a nice one with the subjects eyes on the upper horizontal line, and I was thinking that it would be nice to see some other examples where people have followed the rule of thirds.

Bonus points if you can offer a one sentence description of exactly how your example uses the rule. :D

I understand the rule and can read how it should be applied but I need to see it to make it all finally click I think.

Thanks all :)

WhyDoYouHesitateMyBrother.sized.jpg

Boy is along left vertical. Head is near upper-left intersection. Twin in distance is at upper-right intersection.

NeverAlone1.sized.jpg

Girl is at UL intersection.

RemeberingAshley.sized.jpg

Close eye is at UR.

Gameboy.sized.jpg

Eyes along top horizontal. Lip at lower horizontal. Close eye near UL intersection.

Exuberance.sized.jpg

Face at UR intersection.

Welcome to the forum!

Wow. Ask and ye shall recieve. I love this forum :)

Thank you very much markc :) Besides showing me some amazing pics I also see excellent examples of the rule being applied. One thing that had not occured to me before was using more that one point or line in the same photo.

If anyone else has any I would love to see them, but thank you very much for what has been provided so far :)

If you can use multiples, it can make for a very strong composition. In that last one, the grass-tree line is at the bottom horizontal, the tree-sky line and her hair are at the upper horizontal. Her body centerline sits along the right vertical with her head at the upper-right intersection. It all adds up and can give your eye a lot to do even if there really isn't all that much in the image.

Keeping the horizon near a horizontal third can be rather important, as splitting the image in two at the middle often makes the picture feel unbalanced, as odd as that seems to be. Unless you are working with reflections or have another strong reason to but a horizon in the middle, it's usually best not to.

damn wish i had some kids i could use as my portrait biatchs but i dont want kids yet just protrait biatchs i got cousins i use for that i geuss but theyll be to big soon...

Look at almost any classical painting of the Madonna and child. The Madonna's face is at one junction of thirds, the child's is at the opposite junction of thirds.

Osmer_Toby said:
those shots are gorgeous! esp 1 &2....
Yeah, I like it when questions like these come up. I get reminded of how my pictures should be composed. I'm also too lazy to visit your photo gallery Mark so this is a nice substitute. :wink:

Mark, one question: are these pictures shot digitaly? If not, do you print these pictures in your own darkroom :?:

thanks

Firelance said:
Mark, one question: are these pictures shot digitaly? If not, do you print these pictures in your own darkroom :?:

thanks
The last one was on my 10D, the rest are scanned film. I print digitally using a special quad-tone system.

Which I still haven't finished posting a review of. :roll:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back