Exercises to hold the camera steady?

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm shooting with a 50D and a 28-70 Tammy. Not the heaviest setup, but not the lightest either. If I zoom in and aim one of the focal points at a vertical line, it bounces in and out of the focal point.

I want to be able to hold the camera rock-steady. I've tried repositioning my hands and bracing my elbows against my torso. Really though, I think I need some sort of exercise to train my body to be steadier.

Any suggestions for exercises?

hold you breath (although depends on shutter speed)......or get a monopod.

How did I know someone would say "get a monopod" or "use a tripod." Holding my breath doesn't help because it just makes my heart beat harder.

I'm looking for actual training exercises. Perhaps with weights.

Actually, I have seen numerous times, it being said NOT to hold your breath. That it is best to shoot at the bottom of an exhale, because your body is at "rest" at that point.

Oh, also get a heavier camera with a grip. Something about the weight, and inertia...

curls? pull ups? sit ups?.......exercises for forearms, biceps and your core i would imagine. sorry dont work out much.

I watched a you tube video once and that guy had a tip of setting your camera on your non shooting arm bent in front of you. I'm a weakling and it was to hard for me but it may work after the above suggested workouts :sexywink:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk[/ame]

this usually gives me a stop or two of shutter speed. works well once you get used to it.

p!nK

control your breath. Don't hold it but rather breath slowly between shots. Usually most steady at exhale, but if you hold your breath for too long, you'll start to shake and react slower with your trigger. Also, when you press the shutter, don't squeeze and learn to light touches. Rest your shoulders and keep your elbows close to your body, but don't squeeze.

Actually, I have seen numerous times, it being said NOT to hold your breath. That it is best to shoot at the bottom of an exhale, because your body is at "rest" at that point.

Oh, also get a heavier camera with a grip. Something about the weight, and inertia...

That is how I do it. Thanks to the Army teaching me to shoot and fire when your body is between breaths. It translated quite well into the camera. I have gotten down to 1/5 sec and it been sharp. Ill chalk that one up to luck and how I hold it...but mostly luck

That is how I do it. Thanks to the Army teaching me to shoot and fire when your body is between breaths. It translated quite well into the camera. I have gotten down to 1/5 sec and it been sharp. Ill chalk that one up to luck and how I hold it...but mostly luck

Yea, shooting a camera and shooting a gun is pretty similar :)

I've already been noticing that this hobby is a lot like my other hobby, target shooting with rifles and handguns.

Holding your breath is one of the worst things you can do. You're denying oxygen to your body, which will start to cause you to shake.

I know for shooting I inhale, exhale slowly, shoot, inhale, exhale slowly, shoot. I'm incorporating the same breathing technique into my camera work as well.

Have you considered firing off three shots in continuous shooting mode? There's going to be slight movement from engaging the shutter in the first shot, but once you've got the shutter trigger held down, the next two shots should become progressively movement-free. I've been doing this from time to time. I can't honestly say I see much of a difference, but I think it's because I haven't been shooting anything with a slow shutter of late. I'm also pretty adept at holding myself very still. For low light work, firing off multiple shots should really help.

thai chi, yoga, breathing exercise, meditation

Most reactions

Back