EXIF embedded?

rokclmb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been trying to figure this out. I'm guessing that it means the EXIF info is in the file that is the image. How do you get to it? I've tried right clicking on it and I don't get anything different than any other image.

I use Internet Explorer if that matters.

Thanks

Step 1: Go here Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client

Step 2: Click "Download Firefox Free"

Step 3: Run the installer

Step 4: Congrats, you just got an internet browser worth a dang!

Step 5: Click "Tools" (up top, next to "Help" on the left side)

Step 6: Click the "Get Addons" button

Step 7: Type (in the search field) "FxIF" case sensitive IIRC

Step 8: Click "Add to Firefox" button in the search results to the right side of the screen in the FxIF addon bar.

Step 9: Find some photos posted here or elsewhere on the net, right click it....

Step 10: You'll see a new option "EXIF Data" at the bottom...click that. A new mini-window pops up with your EXIF information (IF AVAILABLE).

Step 11: Do a happy dance since you never have to use IE ever again! lol

Hope that helps!

Thanks
I've had Firefox on my computer for a while and never used it. Maybe that will change.

OK, so now I can see the EXIF data that has been embedded, but how do I embed it in my pictures?

The camera does it for you every time you take a picture, you don't have to do anything ecept release the shutter.

Most cameras will let you add a comment to the metadata (EXIF) like a copyright statement © 2010 Copyright Owners Name.

By the way the US copyright office has specific rules govening the copyright statement:

www.copyright.gov see Circular 3 (PDF format)

When you upload images most uploader software will also let you add other information in the IPTC fields like a caption, contact info, and other stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTC

There are free EXIF readers like www.opanda.com though the best may be www.photome.de which is a EXIF reader/writer.

Also, if you use Windows Vista or 7 just open up the Properties dialogue on the file and under the "Details" tab will be all the EXIF data. Works great if you're looking through your pictures and you just want to see what settings you used. Many photo programs will show this data, as well, but having it natively built into Windows is fantastic.

I understand that the camera does it, and how to see it in windows. I just can't see my EXIF info on photos that I've uploaded to this site. I use Flickr to host my pictures. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for the help.

I understand that the camera does it, and how to see it in windows. I just can't see my EXIF info on photos that I've uploaded to this site. I use Flickr to host my pictures. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for the help.

They may strip the EXIF. If you're using Photoshop, make sure you DON'T use 'Save for Web' because they strip the EXIF. ;)

They may strip the EXIF. If you're using Photoshop, make sure you DON'T use 'Save for Web' because they strip the EXIF. ;)

Learn something new every day! :thumbup:

just learned something new as well, we just got a new computer at school that has windows 7, Opanda does not work within the photo gallery. One can open Opanda and then open a file from Opanda that will show you the metadata. As had been mentioned properties within windows 7 will show you the details; however, not as much information as does Opanda.

as an aside, something else new with windows 7. If one rotates a file in photo gallery, it not only saves it in the orientation rotated too, it strips the metadata and if this is on a memory card, the camera can't read the file.

GRRRRRRR. not good in a class situation. Of course there are work arounds, but it certainly slows down critque sessions within a timed class.

Most reactions

Back