Expecting too much too soon?

flyingseale

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Perhaps it's just the weather we've been having since I bought my D80 and Sigma 10-20, but I'm finding it really difficult to get images that I'm happy with. Maybe this is just a normal feeling that everyone else is producing much better photos than you?
Anyway, to combat this feeling I've played a little with HDR's and here are my best two efforts.

Mike

1. Norman Church at Knowlton, Dorset
DSC_0116_7_8framed.jpg

2. Groyne at Avon Beach, Mudeford, Dorset
Avon-Beach.jpg

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I don't expect to be a pro after a month with the camera, but I also feel pressure to kick out some high quality stuff since I spent a pretty penny on my setup. (At least to me)

Great color in the first one, btw.

Nice HDRs!

I notice the photomatix watermark. Are you using the trial? The version 1 software is free from photomatix now, and doesn't leave a watermark. It still works quite well, too. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I almost never like my photographs, even ones that others say are great. Like a friend's engagement photos I did, they really like, I got congratulated at the wedding, etc., but I keep looking at 'em and just think, "eh ..."

So you could be like me in that respect.

Are you using the trial? The version 1 software is free from photomatix now, and doesn't leave a watermark. It still works quite well, too. Just a suggestion.

Oh. It IS?
Cool news!
I'm still with their trial version and find the watermark a NUISANCE!

But then I also must admire you, flyingseale, for your HDRs, any one of those I have tried to make so far are only cr**, you know, I really don't know what I am doing in the tone mapping process. I feel like diving in the mud.

So I have to ask you: WHAT is it you are not happy with in your photos? I find them quite, quite good!

But on the other hand I hardly ever dare come forward with my photos (I do, in the end, but with very mixed feelings) for I always feel that everyone else is better, more creative, technically better, more versed in pp treatments, fresher, younger, has better motifs and whatnot...

You just gave that feeling again. Other people's photos are better than mine. I can't take pictures like those nice ones above.

Dani

i think most people who arent professional feel that way from time to time, and im sure the pro's feel that way too...maybe just less of the time...
and dont feel bad about not cranking out hundreds of good pictures
a famous photographer once said
"if i knew how to take a good picture, i would do it every time"
and i really like 2

So I have to ask you: WHAT is it you are not happy with in your photos? I find them quite, quite good!
It's not that I'm unhappy with the photos, just that feeling of 'could do better'. The positive feedback helps to bolster the confidence, so I guess I just have to post more often.

Olympus8MP said:
The version 1 software is free
I'll take alook at version 1. I only just went to the site and downloaded the latest beta version, assuming it would make sense to learn the newest features before deciding whether to buy or not.

Regards
Mike

Don't try to rush into photography; all in good time. You did a really good job on these HDRs, I really like the composition and exposure for number 2.

-Will

The version 1 software is free from photomatix now, and doesn't leave a watermark. It still works quite well, too. Just a suggestion.
I downloaded version 1.2 (photomatrix basic) and the results were disappointing. Ended up looking like the HDR's you get out of photoshop CS2. Nice but certainly not dramatic looking.
In case you haven't seen my latest HDR, take a look here http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73613 I'm much happier now :boogie:

Mike

I know how you feel, been down to Dorset twice so far this year and both times the weather was well err..... bad

that said I did take a few shots I liked and I like the shots you've posted and it looks like I might be heading to those places soon, never even heard of Mudeford

Hi,

They,re nice enough shots. There's a big learning curve with DSLRs & it's important that you take time & effort to make sure you know the technicalities of the camera.

The biggest thing though is YOU - doesn't matter how much money someone spends on the camera it's about learning photography - composition, lighting, the effects of DOF etc etc. This takes time, many people don't bother and never really make the most of the abilities of their camera. You've made a good start so stick with it !!

simon

Wow the 2nd shot is awesome !

Most reactions

Back