Experience with the printer Canon PIXMA PRO-100S (or PRO-10S)

bluenite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a new large format printer (A3+)
Does anyone have experience with this one?
I'm interested mainly (of preference):
1/the problem of nozzles drying (small volume printing, not daily).
2/relation ink price/consumption
3/possible sw calibration
Alternatively welcome tip for other similar ones (Epson, HP)
thx for any advice
Peter

hey, blueknight! sorry, the thought of a medieval knight singing the blues struck me as funny ;-}

i have the pixma pro-100 and am very pleased. i've made less than 2 dozen prints, though. but the quality is hard to believe, especially for the price of the printer and the ink.

printing will be my primary focus this year. in 2015&16, i learned how to shoot digitally and do basic post processing via nx-d, now it is time to print.
  1. prior to purchase, i too, worried about the nozzles. NO WORRIES! i went about a year with the printer in a closet, brought it out and the first print was as good as before! unreal eh?
  2. consumption seems reasonable. like color laser printers, they profit from the ink, but the cost seems ok, especially because you can buy each color individually or together.
  3. 1st tip is ONLY BUY CANON PAPER! no one in the camera store mentioned that deviating means difficult calibration work involving purchasing a system and/or finding, loading and using printing parameter files for the paper which i have not done. i just bought more canon paper. second tip, if you can't afford the big buck monitor (i have cheap ones only), then some time is needed with the printing parameters in the pixma printer driver. default is auto, but like on your camera, auto can mean trouble. this is where my initial attention will be, understanding the little bit complex driver interface. like any graphic software, it just takes some dedicated time to get it sorted out so that the darkness, contrast is like the monitor. i have not had any issues with color balance, however.
again the print quality is stellar. i spent a lot of time in the darkroom decades ago in college, and always used professional printers ever since. reviews often say the epson is better, but it is hard to believe. the canon was on sale on bhphoto, so i nabbed it, and so far am happy. for nonphotography color printing years ago, i swore off canon printers due to issues. this is a whole different class of product, fortunately.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back