Experimenting with a Nikon 35-105 mm lens

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

A few days ago I bought a Nikon 35-105 mm AF lens on eBay for $44.00. It is mounted to a Nikon D610. Today I took it to the park to try it out. It was 9 F degrees outside. But it didn't bother the ducks. I am here to learn how to improve my photography. I wasn't sure how an older lens would work on a newer camera. What do you think of the performance of this lens? The pictures attached have not been altered except for being downsized. Thank you, Lonnie
82479927_10159947507933499_6254476842682548224_o.jpg
83168626_10159947508113499_8163349764327342080_o.jpg

Last edited:
very nice!

I assume that you needed to manually focus since it appears that the lens and camera have incompatible autofocus systems if I read the specifications right.

I don't see anything wrong with the performance of the lens. The only critcism I would levy, and this might even be unfounded, is that your focus looks like it's somewhat forward of the subjects in both photos, and that your depth of field drops-off too soon. In the first photo, the water in front of the ducks is in-focus, and the frontmost ducks are just barely in-focus, but basically the bulk of the ducks behind are not focused. On the second photo, the ground in front of the duck is focused, the front-faceing portions of the duck are focused, but the back-feathers and tail-feathers of the duck appear to be out of focus.

And please don't interpret this too strongly, I'm more the Gomez Addams of photography than an Ansel Adams.

It appears you got lucky, it works and takes decent pics so that's not bad for 44 clams. As a suggestion I would recommend using this site for information before you buy as well as afterwards if you're not sure of something.

I assume that you needed to manually focus since it appears that the lens and camera have incompatible autofocus systems if I read the specifications right.

No, you are reading the specifications incorrectly... the Nikon D610 has a built-in autofocus motor in the body of the camera and will therefore Focus the older technology AF and AF-D lenses.

No, you are reading the specifications incorrectly... the Nikon D610 has a built-in autofocus motor in the body of the camera and will therefore Focus the older technology AF and AF-D lenses.
Well, Nikon is definitely not my strong-suit, and I caught the camera model in Lonnie1212's sig more than I did in the body of his posting.

Hi Folks,

A few days ago I bought a Nikon 35-105 mm AF lens on eBay for $44.00. It is mounted to a Nikon D610. Today I took it to the park to try it out.

The D610 is compatible with both the older style screw-drive focus system and the later AF-S system, but his D3200 needs the AF-s motor in the lens for focusing.

There are a few "hidden gems" in the Nikon back catalog. My experience is that the 24-megapixel full frame sensor cameras work pretty well with a wide variety of lenses that were made back in the film era.

Most reactions

Back