Nikon 18-105 mm 3.5-5.6G ED slipped out of my hand and fell and hit my desk

dmfisher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. My Nikon 18-105 mm 3.5-5.6G ED slipped out of my hand and fell and hit my desk. I no longer own an F-mount camera and was actually about to sell this on eBay. It now makes a slight rattle sound, coming from the rear of the lens, like something inside there is no longer attached or aligned. Beginner shooter here. I went online to Nikon for a repair, about $200+, and a used lens sells for less than the repair. This lens was barely used, and never outdoors. Is there a way I could fix this myself, or are there folks out there that buy these when it is a simple fix?

Hello. My Nikon 18-105 mm 3.5-5.6G ED slipped out of my hand and fell and hit my desk. I no longer own an F-mount camera and was actually about to sell this on eBay. It now makes a slight rattle sound, coming from the rear of the lens, like something inside there is no longer attached or aligned. Beginner shooter here. I went online to Nikon for a repair, about $200+, and a used lens sells for less than the repair. This lens was barely used, and never outdoors. Is there a way I could fix this myself, or are there folks out there that buy these when it is a simple fix?
I would be honest and advertise it for what it is - a damaged parts lens, not worth fooling with. If you don't have the training and proper tools, you're likely to cause more damage.

Old saying "simple fixes are rarely simple."

Just getting into the lens is difficult.

If anything inside is broken, the replacement part will be difficult to get, and probably expensive. You can't just go to a hardware store to get the parts.

I would do as @RAZKY said, sell it "as is, for parts."

That lens is mostly plastic. Best to sell as mentioned as a parts lens.

let it go.

Most reactions

Back