Experimenting with a Nikon 70-210mm f/4 lens.....

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

Bought an older lens from Roberts camera. It has a few YouTube reviews. Would like to know about the white spots above the lights on the bridge. Is that called ghosting or perhaps lens flare? From my understand this is an older film camera lens. I like experimenting with older less expensive lenses. Thank you, Lonnie
DSC_3440resized.JPG
DSC_3438a.JPG

Pretty cool starburst effects.

I'd assume the wee circles are some artifacts showing up from the light reflecting off the lens elements. They look quite consistent.

Are you using a lens hood? I always use a lens hood, no matter the lens other than a deep macro lens. It helps with contrast and eliminates weird reflections such as this. Also protects the front element.

Are you using a lens hood? I always use a lens hood, no matter the lens other than a deep macro lens. It helps with contrast and eliminates weird reflections such as this. Also protects the front element.

I do not have a lens hood yet. Will have to look into one.

I like that first one. Was there a filter on the lens?

I like that first one. Was there a filter on the lens?

There is no filter on the lens. And I was wondering what was causing the light spots above each pole light on the bridge. And thank you for the compliment.

How is yours during the day.
Mine has a very slight blue cast, so the image looks cooler than normal.

I do not have a lens hood yet. Will have to look into one.

This will more than likely take care of this anomaly. Notice it is not happening with the red lights in #1 or the lights in #2? straight on shots are fine.

My most common mistake is to forget to take the UV filter off when I am shooting points of light, particularly the moon.

The filter is so thin and so common place that I forget it is there. Even then, a point of light source when shot straight or nearly straight on, may not cause a problem. But, when shooting at an angle, the filter reflection often appears.

I use my film camera lenses with my digital quite often.

good luck

How is yours during the day.
Mine has a very slight blue cast, so the image looks cooler than normal.

Hi AC12,

I will pay more attention to the possibility of a blue cast in the future. Thank you for telling me.

Most reactions

Back