Experimenting with flowers

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Playing with my new lens this afternoon. Liked how this one turned out.
IMG_8986.JPG

Tell us what the new lens is. Always great to have a new toy to play with and share the results with others.

I am assuming that the "subject" is the flower in focus, in the middle of the image. The only problem is that the viewer's eye goes right to the out of focus flowers in the front of the in-focus one and not to the "subject". I suspect that this is not what you intended. A different approach,which I would try, is to focus on the ones in the foreground and let the ones in the background be out of focus (OOF). Alternatively, leave the foreground flowers out of the picture all together and focus only on the subject at hand. One thing I have learned in situations like this is to work the "situation", trying all kinds of different angles and approaches to the subject. It is nothing for me to take 10 or 15 shots (or more) of the same flower all from different angles or different settings, backgrounds, etc. to see what works. Digital doesn't cost you anything but your time.

WesternGuy

It's a canon 85 mm f1.8. I took this in bright sunshine. And the flowers are in a planter box. So I was really just playing with the lens since it just came yesterday. I actually like that the front flowers are out of focus. But typically I do what you're suggesting and try to isolate the flower in question. Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back