What's new

Experimenting with Focus Capabilities on my Point and Shoot; B&W and Color

Photographiend

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 31, 2012
Messages
1,234
Reaction score
188
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
bwCIMG21681-300x225.jpg


CIMG2168-300x225.jpg


bwCIMG21711-300x225.jpg


CIMG2171a1-300x225.jpg


bwCIMG2185a1-300x225.jpg


CIMG2185a1-300x225.jpg


bwCIMG2191a1-300x225.jpg


CIMG2191a1-300x225.jpg


bwCIMG22091-300x225.jpg


CIMG2209a1-300x225.jpg
 

Attachments

  • $bwCIMG21681-300x225.webp
    $bwCIMG21681-300x225.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 129
  • $bwCIMG21711-300x225.webp
    $bwCIMG21711-300x225.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 130
  • $CIMG2171a1-300x225.webp
    $CIMG2171a1-300x225.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 136
  • $bwCIMG2191a1-300x225.webp
    $bwCIMG2191a1-300x225.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 137
  • $CIMG2209a1.webp
    $CIMG2209a1.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
Focus capabilities? I'm not being a smart ass but I don't really understand what the point of this was or what focus capabilities means. Your point and shoot can focus right?
 
There is a difference between the focus capabilities of a SLR and a Point and Shoot.

With a SLR you can control what the subject of your image is going to be by adjusting the focus to either the foreground or the back ground or something specific in between.

With a point and shoot, the camera decides for you where it will focus. Most the time it is on whatever is dead center in your picture.

In the wedding cake topper image, that was the wall behind it. That one was the simplest to adjust because all I needed to do was center the cake topper, hold the button slightly down to focus, then adjust the angle to slightly off center before snapping the shot. The pink flower on the other hand was the most challenging as I was shooting up the length of a wall trying to get the flower in focus when it was well off center. As soon as I adjusted it out of center it was no longer in focus.

I should add this was done without flash which is another challenge since point and shoots don't have the luxury of a shutter speed that will keep the image from blurring like SLRs do. At least not that I have discovered.
 
What point and shoot are you using? I find it unlikely that it doesn't have some sort of focus point selection function or the ability to change the shutter speed even a little bit.
 
I like that pink flower image and to some extent the fan image ..... :D
 
What point and shoot are you using? I find it unlikely that it doesn't have some sort of focus point selection function or the ability to change the shutter speed even a little bit.

I use a Casio Exilim, checked the manual. This far the best I could find was an "Anti-Shake" setting. That helps a bunch with the issue of not blurring every picture in low light with no flash while trying to snap a shot up a wall... To get the focus right I just pointed slightly above the flower to focus then moved the angle so the flower was higher in the picture.

Here is the new one:

$CIMG2380a.webp
 
Here are a couple more from yesterday.


$CIMG2223.webp

$b&wCIMG2223.webp
 
Today I was shooting out doors. Also, started adding a water mark.


$CIMG2239a.webp

$CIMG2248.webp

$CIMG2258a.webp

$CIMG2347a.webp

$b&wCIMG2253a.webp

$b&wCIMG2253.webp

$CIMG2301.webp

$CIMG2299.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom