experimenting with HDR

Scatterbrained

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took these shots at Disney (Epcot) last Tues. They are actually hand held as I didn't bring a tripod and HDR was the farthest thing from my mind. I couldn't resist getting a shot of the sun through the clouds though and then thirty minutes later we were in "Japan" when you could see the yellows and oranges of the setting sun reflected in a cloud over the lake. Total workflow involved; setting white balance and converting to TIFF in LR3Beta and then merging in Photomatix light. Used the default settings for Photomatix then re-imported to LR to covert to Jpeg, I did these on an uncalibrated laptop so hopefully the color is OK.
4669497387_15506a9790_b.jpg

4670122406_365554d9e8_b.jpg

4670123474_399bfccd48_b.jpg

I actually have another shot very much like the last one but a tighter crop around the top of the building. I couldn't make up my mind which one I prefer.

All things considered nice job, especially with the sky. The darkest areas of each pic is still too dark for me but overall the pics arent bad.

These shots are awesome love the clouds
and the rays of light. You did good but next time bring out some of the dark areas
and on #1 bring out that dark tree #3 crop out the corner tree sticking out
good job well done:thumbup:

These looks quite good. In pic #3, the temple looks kind of crooked. Perhaps my eyes deceive me.

Hi,
I've just started learning HDR and still a lot to learn about the technique. One thing I can't figure out is how to make the file size smaller. I am using CS4 for processing, I was surprise to see when I checked on of the processed hdr photo it is a whopping 57 MB. And it only saves in TIFF format, is it possible to save hdr processed photo to JPEG format? I hope to hear from somebody about my query. Thanks!!!

Fremen is right. Photomatix for example only saves in tiff format. You have to convert the tiff to jpeg.

Mine allows me to save in tiff or jpeg.The screen where it asks you what folder to save in also asks you what format. Photomatix 3.2

Great shots! Did you capture these by bracketing several shots manually (as in "true-HDR") and how many shots went in to each image or are these pseudo-HDR (single shots processed in Photomatrix)? Don't get me wrong, HDR is HDR in my mind. HDR may have begun as a strict set of techniques but it has very much developed into a genre of its own and HDR images can be captured using any number of techniques and can be highly realistic to very surreal so I am not trying to start a discussion on 'What is HDR', that horse has been beaten to death.

I would highly recommend getting the Photomatrix plug-in for CS4 if you can. In my opinion it is far more effective and overall easier to use then the stand alone program (although Im used to working in PS so maybe thats why I find it better). Also, it will eliminate any of the above mentioned problems with file type i.e. when using CS4 you can save as any file type you desire and resizing is very simple. It also allows you to decide exactly how far on the surreal side you want to go. I personally prefer my HDR work to take on a very surreal look a lot of the time but when I want to produce a standard looking image with all of the color and vibrance of HDR I can do that easily as well.

Great job and keep it up!

i really like number one, except that center tree is rather dark. Woops?

hahaha... wow.

(the following statement is going to shock bynx, but...)

These are very slick. Nicely done. I like the first one overall the best. I think the last probably had the most potential but the way the Japan structure came out wasn't great for me.

Most reactions

Back