Exposure Compensation

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have failed to comprehend my manual (4 times) concerning this. I have no idea what it does? Can someone explain it to stupid ol' tevo :er:

If you use semi automatic mode, you will adjust where the middle bar of the metering is. For example, you can tell it to take it +1 over exposed. If you use manual, it is like purposely putting the metering bar not at 0.

In automated modes, it biases the camera meter to allow you to 'tell' the camera that a scene is not 18% grey. A long time back, everybody decided that the average scene turned out to be around 18% grey, so that's what they went with. If you take pictures of average scenes, it works great.

The problem lies when you are shooting a darker or lighter scene. For instance, a beach or snow(or more common, a scene with a bright light source like the sun). Those scenes are much brighter than 18% grey, but since that's what the camera wants to expose for, it will actually underexpose the scene leading to grey snow. Same thing with a dark scene. It will overexpose the scene trying to make everything grey.

Exposure compensation allows you to let the camera know if the scene is darker or brighter than normal, so that in the automated modes(P, A, S, etc), it will properly expose the scene.

For a fun little experiment that will let you visualize this, take three pieces of paper. A white piece, a grey piece, and a black piece. Take a shot of each with the camera in P, A, S making sure to fill the frame with the paper. Assuming you are on a tripod and shutter speed is not a factor, all 3 images will look the same. They will all be grey.

Now, play with exposure comp to get them to look the way they should. For the white piece of paper, you will need to dial in a positive exposure comp. For the black piece, negative exposure comp. The grey should be at 0 exposure comp.

If you use semi automatic mode, you will adjust where the middle bar of the metering is. For example, you can tell it to take it +1 over exposed. If you use manual, it is like purposely putting the metering bar not at 0.

GJKLSDJGL;KASJAGIOAJGHLKASDHOIAWHAKALSDASHKGAGLKALKSDJH;LKDSAHJ;DSIHKLJHIOAREJLKASDJHOIAREJHLKSFJHALKHOAWIHJLKFJHAOIRHJA4OISOIHOIERWJHOIDJOIAJHOI;AHEHR THAT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE !

Have I told you lately,

that I love you?

Just an added note: Canon camera bodies only have exposure compensation in the semi-auto modes - that is aperture and shutter priority. However Nikon bodies also allow exposure compensation in full manual mode; which means that it biases your meter reading in the very same way as in the semi-auto modes; even though you're controlling all the settings you are still biasing the meter reading as you set them.

Age, sex, location?

LOL jk

GJKLSDJGL;KASJAGIOAJGHLKASDHOIAWHAKALSDASHKGAGLKALKSDJH;LKDSAHJ;DSIHKLJHIOAREJLKASDJHOIAREJHLKSFJHALKHOAWIHJLKFJHAOIRHJA4OISOIHOIERWJHOIDJOIAJHOI;AHEHR THAT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE !

Have I told you lately,

that I love you?

Just an added note: Canon camera bodies only have exposure compensation in the semi-auto modes - that is aperture and shutter priority. However Nikon bodies also allow exposure compensation in full manual mode; which means that it biases your meter reading in the very same way as in the semi-auto modes; even though you're controlling all the settings you are still biasing the meter reading as you set them.

I Shoot a Nikon D7000, but thanks for the information!

Age, sex, location?

LOL jk

16,M, California! :DDD hahahahah

In automated modes, it biases the camera meter to allow you to 'tell' the camera that a scene is not 18% grey. A long time back, everybody decided that the average scene turned out to be around 18% grey, so that's what they went with. If you take pictures of average scenes, it works great.

The problem lies when you are shooting a darker or lighter scene. For instance, a beach or snow(or more common, a scene with a bright light source like the sun). Those scenes are much brighter than 18% grey, but since that's what the camera wants to expose for, it will actually underexpose the scene leading to grey snow. Same thing with a dark scene. It will overexpose the scene trying to make everything grey.

Exposure compensation allows you to let the camera know if the scene is darker or brighter than normal, so that in the automated modes(P, A, S, etc), it will properly expose the scene.

For a fun little experiment that will let you visualize this, take three pieces of paper. A white piece, a grey piece, and a black piece. Take a shot of each with the camera in P, A, S making sure to fill the frame with the paper. Assuming you are on a tripod and shutter speed is not a factor, all 3 images will look the same. They will all be grey.

Now, play with exposure comp to get them to look the way they should. For the white piece of paper, you will need to dial in a positive exposure comp. For the black piece, negative exposure comp. The grey should be at 0 exposure comp.

Planning on trying this later tonight.

Tevo buddy... it make de picshure be darker or it make de picshur be liter, dependin on whut U tell it tu do.

Tevo buddy... it make de picshure be darker or it make de picshur be liter, dependin on whut U tell it tu do.
shanksh 4 teh ecksplanethun

Gosh, I thought Exposure Compensation was like Title IX, or the Equal Rights Act....you know, designed as a way to make up for wrongs of the past, and to give disadvantaged exposures compensation for the past history of under-exposures, inflated ISO ratings, and deliberate and willful over-exposures in the face of sidelighting...huh....guess not...we love ya tevo...

Gosh, I thought Exposure Compensation was like Title IX, or the Equal Rights Act....you know, designed as a way to make up for wrongs of the past, and to give disadvantaged exposures compensation for the past history of under-exposures, inflated ISO ratings, and deliberate and willful over-exposures in the face of sidelighting...huh....guess not...we love ya tevo...

This is possibly the greatest string of words I have ever heard in my entire life. LOOLLLL

Most reactions

Back