Exposure Hawk

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I titled it that because I took different pics of this hawk at different exposures and I'm posting each pic to determine which exposure people like the best. So far it appears that this one was exposed better than the others that I posted. In this thread I'm also comparing two pics that were edited differently and I'd like to know how people feel about the difference in color vibrancy. I didn't increase saturation or vibrancy in #1, it's all natural and pic #2 is more vivid/vibrant but does it go too far? Thanks for any input.

458 (2)pp.jpg

458 (2)tz.jpg

In this case I think the adjusted file looks good. I usually adjust it to where I think it looks good and then back it off by half. LOL! It's hard when your trying to find the sweet spot but eventually it becomes natural.

Lovely shooting......

Thanks!

In this case I think the adjusted file looks good. I usually adjust it to where I think it looks good and then back it off by half. LOL! It's hard when your trying to find the sweet spot but eventually it becomes natural.

I like the color on the bird better in #2 but the sky in both pics is a little too saturated I think. You're right, it's hard deciding what looks best and harder changing it to your liking.

I titled it that because I took different pics of this hawk at different exposures and I'm posting each pic to determine which exposure people like the best. So far it appears that this one was exposed better than the others that I posted. In this thread I'm also comparing two pics that were edited differently and I'd like to know how people feel about the difference in color vibrancy. I didn't increase saturation or vibrancy in #1, it's all natural and pic #2 is more vivid/vibrant but does it go too far? Thanks for any input.

View attachment 186787

View attachment 186788

Your two photos here are posted without ICC color space tags. That leaves the colors in the photos undefined so not really sure what to say to respond to your questions. Any idea how the ICC tags got removed from the photos?

I assumed sRGB and took a look at them. Highlights in both are clipping a little and neither manages to reach a decent black.

Joe

View attachment 186787

View attachment 186788

Your two photos here are posted without ICC color space tags. That leaves the colors in the photos undefined so not really sure what to say to respond to your questions. Any idea how the ICC tags got removed from the photos?

I assumed sRGB and took a look at them. Highlights in both are clipping a little and neither manages to reach a decent black.

Joe

You're far beyond me, I don't know anything about those things, I barely know PS or photo editing for that matter. Are you saying the highlights are too bright? I know how to improve on the blacks so I'll put that on my list of things to do in future edits. Not that I'll be any good at it, lol! None the less, thanks for the tips, I appreciate them.

View attachment 186787

View attachment 186788

Joe

You're far beyond me, I don't know anything about those things, I barely know PS or photo editing for that matter.

The missing ICC profiles is an issue you should get control over. Posting the photos untagged really can cause problems with people viewing them. Somewhere in the process you use to get the photo from the camera to ThePhotoForum the ICC tag is getting removed. Your camera can't create an image without the ICC profile so it was there to start. Lightroom/Photoshop won't export a JPEG without the ICC profile so where's it getting removed?

Joe

I prefer the second photo by a hair.

View attachment 186787

View attachment 186788

Joe

You're far beyond me, I don't know anything about those things, I barely know PS or photo editing for that matter.

The missing ICC profiles is an issue you should get control over. Posting the photos untagged really can cause problems with people viewing them. Somewhere in the process you use to get the photo from the camera to ThePhotoForum the ICC tag is getting removed. Your camera can't create an image without the ICC profile so it was there to start. Lightroom/Photoshop won't export a JPEG without the ICC profile so where's it getting removed?

Joe

I have no clue as to what is causing it or how to correct it. I'm not even concerned with all that data like some people are but I can see the need for it. Do you have any recommendations as to how to correct it?

I went back and made some adjustments, white balance among other things was off. I think this looks better/more natural. Those saturated colors looks a little sickening and unrealistic to me.
458 (2)realistic.jpg

View attachment 186787

View attachment 186788

Joe

Joe

I have no clue as to what is causing it or how to correct it. I'm not even concerned with all that data like some people are but I can see the need for it. Do you have any recommendations as to how to correct it?

Your photo starts out with an ICC profile attached. We need to follow your process through start to finish and see where the offending software is that's stripping off the profile.

Are your starting with JPEG or raw?
From camera to computer or processing device how is the transfer done?
What app do you use to edit the photo?
What web browser?
How do you upload the photo?

Joe

@Ysarex

1. I start with JPEG.
2. transfer: I bypass Windows Cloud because it says I need to buy more storage. I instead use Microsoft software that's installed on Windows 10 to upload my pictures.
3. I usually do a quick crop and save with provided Microsoft software as I'm reviewing my pictures just to tag the ones I want to edit afterward.
4. I use Elements '18 but within the past few days I have shuffled partially edited pics from that into Topaz to finish up with color tweaks, etc.
5. I then save them back to Windows software.
6. when I upload any pic to this forum I have to resize it down to 4mb for it to be accepted and that is done with Windows software as well.

That's everything. Here's the original pic uploaded and edited for tagging in Windows only. I suspect the problem occurs before any editing. Maybe a glitch/corrupt file in Windows 10 software??? That wouldn't be a first.

458.JPG

@Ysarex

1. I start with JPEG.
2. transfer: I bypass Windows Cloud because it says I need to buy more storage. I instead use Microsoft software that's installed on Windows 10 to upload my pictures.
3. I usually do a quick crop and save with provided Microsoft software as I'm reviewing my pictures just to tag the ones I want to edit afterward.
4. I use Elements '18 but within the past few days I have shuffled partially edited pics from that into Topaz to finish up with color tweaks, etc.
5. I then save them back to Windows software.
6. when I upload any pic to this forum I have to resize it down to 4mb for it to be accepted and that is done with Windows software as well.

That's everything. Here's the original pic uploaded and edited for tagging in Windows only. I suspect the problem occurs before any editing. Maybe a glitch/corrupt file in Windows 10 software??? That wouldn't be a first.

View attachment 186876

The JPEG leaves your camera with an ICC profile tag. You can set your camera most likely to sRGB or Adobe RGB (some cameras also ProPhoto). Your camera cannot create that JPEG with apply the color space profile and it's saved with the JPEG.

Elements behaves properly and will not remove the ICC tag. Windows software that you're using is the likely culprit. The photo you uploaded here without the crop is missing it's ICC profile. I'd use Elements if you have that and stop using the Microsoft software.

If you know what color space is set on your camera then you could use Elements to at least replace the ICC tag. Elements should provide a feature to assign a color profile.

Joe

The JPEG leaves your camera with an ICC profile tag. You can set your camera most likely to sRGB or Adobe RGB (some cameras also ProPhoto). Your camera cannot create that JPEG with apply the color space profile and it's saved with the JPEG.

Elements behaves properly and will not remove the ICC tag. Windows software that you're using is the likely culprit. The photo you uploaded here without the crop is missing it's ICC profile. I'd use Elements if you have that and stop using the Microsoft software.

If you know what color space is set on your camera then you could use Elements to at least replace the ICC tag. Elements should provide a feature to assign a color profile.

Joe[/QUOTE]

It's using sRGB and I just discovered that it's when I resize a pic in Windows for uploading to this forum is when it drops color representation, etc. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back