Exposure questions

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you think exposure bracketing is useless ? Take too much time ? Do you find it easier to change exposure in Ps later ?

Why use exposure compensation and not change speed or aperture ?

Bonus question :
Does it ever come to a point where you don’t really use the histogram anymore?​

Last edited:
Do you think exposure bracketing is useless ? Take too much time ? Do you find it easier to change exposure in Ps later ?
Why use exposure compensation and not change speed or aperture ?

Bonus question :
Does it ever come to a point where you don’t really use the histogram anymore?​

1. Bracketing is definitely useful. Change via PP is not the same quality as getting it right the first time.

2. I don't understand the question. Exposure compensation IS changing speed and/or aperture. ISO changes are appropriate only if you're beyond the capability of speed/aperture combinations.

3. I rarely use the histogram. Visual appearance of the photo itself is priority with me.

If you photograph a lot of hdr like i do then exposure bracketing is a must have option

Exposure bracketing can be done automatically on most bodies--just dial in the bracketing info for your camera, and let the camera auto-bracket for you. If you shoot in JPEG mode, bracketing, either exposure bracketing, or white balance bracketing, can be worthwhile.

The only time I bracket via ISO is on controlled studio shots where it is easier to adjust the ISO rather than the lighting, or when doing "how-to" sequence shots where the camera is tripod mounted,and adjusting ISO is an easy way to get more or less exposure.

Histogram: it's the number one in-camera tool for gauging exposure. It's right there, and it tells me a lot about how strong or weak the actual exposure is in relation to f/stop and speed and ISO. I think it is a valuable tool for exposure decisions.

my 2 cents comes from years of experience.

when i first started to learn how to use a camera , and in those days, it was only manual mode; nothing else was available, and i did a lot of bracketing.

years later, i never bracket and rarely use the histogram unless i am working with a new camera and want to get a feel of what the meter is recommending.

When i started to do IR work with digital i also used the histogram to check what was going on as the lCD shows dark magenta and one can't see a thing :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back