exposure settting on camera?

i notice that the higher the speed i use....the "colder" the temperature of the picture as well i feel?...why is that?
That shouldn't make a difference...unless you are actually changing the exposure. Every-time you adjust the shutter speed, to keep the same exposure, the aperture needs to change (forget about ISO for now). So if you make the shutter speed faster...the aperture has get bigger (smaller number) to keep the same exposure. It's possible that you aperture is already as big as it can get...then when you increase the shutter speed...the exposure is less and your image will be darker.

'Colder' is usually a reference to the White Balance (color) of the image. That's a whole different thing. (although exposure can have an affect on color).

i was once testing it at different shutter speed....same focal length...same composition....with different shutter speed in "S" mode........the exposure meter say the exposure is fine...except the pictures have different temperature.....the one with slower shutter is warmer.....i'll try it again...maybe as i'm changing the shutter....the aperature is already at max?.....

The higher the shutter speed you use the less motion will be visible in the image. Motion is seen as blur in the image. It can be caused by the subject moving or the camera moving or both. Mike was giving you a rule of thumb for shutter speeds that is designed to avoid motion blur in most instances. He suggested that, as a beginner, it would be a good idea to concentrate on the shutter speed to avoid the blur. It is good advice. You can experiment as you go but, for now, use higher shutter speeds so that less motion blur will show in your images.

The higher the shutter speed you use the less motion will be visible in the image. Motion is seen as blur in the image. It can be caused by the subject moving or the camera moving or both. Mike was giving you a rule of thumb for shutter speeds that is designed to avoid motion blur in most instances. He suggested that, as a beginner, it would be a good idea to concentrate on the shutter speed to avoid the blur. It is good advice. You can experiment as you go but, for now, use higher shutter speeds so that less motion blur will show in your images.

would there a reason why you want to use slower shutter for regular day to day photo from time to time....except:

1) long exposure for lightings or night scene
2) long exposure to get desired effect
3) long exposure to do other crazy things

exposure lock is a nice function I use, dont know if its on your camera.

many times depending on what needs to properly exposed for example faces at a wedding, I will lock on the face, and then unzoom back out.

as they walk by I can compose the shot however I want knowing their faces will be properly exposed.

But for landscape things are a lot different ....

would there a reason why you want to use slower shutter for regular day to day photo from time to time....except:

1) long exposure for lightings or night scene
2) long exposure to get desired effect
3) long exposure to do other crazy things

One time that I like to use a long shutter speed is when I'm shooting running water or a waterfall...a long enough shutter speed can give the water a neat look. There are plenty of things you can do with long exposures...but typically I want as fast a shutter speed as I can get.

You always have to think in terms of compromise. For example...if I want to do a landscape shot...and I want a very deep DOF so that everything will be in focus...then I will set a small aperture (high F number). The result of that is that I will probably need a long shutter speed. I will probably need a tripod...which is a good idea anyway. In this example, I didn't really want a long shutter speed...but I had to use a long shutter speed because of the aperture I wanted to use. It's a compromise you see.

Another compromise that comes up all the time...is what ISO setting to use. If you are shooting hand held, you will obviously want to use a faster shutter speed...but what if you are already at the maximum aperture? You can turn up the ISO setting, which will allow you to get a faster shutter speed at the same exposure. The trade off is that a higher ISO setting will give you more 'noise' in the image. ISO 1600 or 3200 will give you much faster shutter speeds than ISO 100 or 200...but the noise in the image doesn't look very nice...so you have to find a compromise that works for you.

A circular polarizer will certainly help. I use mine almost anytime I'm shooting outdoor in sunlight.
You can get them at just about any photo store. There are several different brands at different prices.

First get a good exposure and then you can tweak the image in post processing to help get nice blues and greens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back