Exposures alternating in continuous shutter release (D5500)

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I set my shutter release to continuous (burst mode), the exposures alternate. An example is posted. Held down the shutter and fired off 4 shots, which I have numbered so you can follow the sequence. Every other exposure is dark. What could cause this?
example_zpsb7pffxgv.jpg

Cannot see any photos. Is auto-bracketing set to ON?

Try this. Let me check my settings. Auto-bracket would make sense!

Attachments

• example.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 278
Fluorescent or some sort of HID lighting? Alternating current cycling. It doesn't look like exposure is off, but white balance.

Difficult to look at ANY data when 4 original images are combined into a single collage image file with zero EXIF info. Now that I can see the image, I'd tend to agree with Sparky: I think you did run into an AC current cycling issue, which is pretty common in gymnasium setups. The exact shutter speed used...please post that....

On some cameras, when shooting in JPG capture mode it's possible for the user to selected white balance auto-bracketing...but again...no EXIF data to work with...

But as you can see, 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 are close to identical.

Here are some jpg files with exif

Attachments

• example2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
  • example3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
  • example4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 288
  • example5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
  • example6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
  • first.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 293
Yeah, stop doing your collages ... you do that in other posts.
And you should know by now we're going to ask your your exposure information each and every time.

I'd agree with Sparky & Derrel. you're pointing to the same spot in these 4 shots.
If you look at the shadow areas (upper left and under the TV in top right) you can see the variations.

If you were panning the gym and getting different exposures that would be different. I just finished a soccer game and my ISO was between 900 and 6400 with the same shutter/aperture throughout. Just different lighting conditions within a 50 yard span.

FIRST
Camera: Nikon D5500
Lens: 55-300 mm f/4.5-5.6
Shot at 55 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/1,500 sec, f/4.5, ISO 6400

SECOND
Shot at 55 mm

THREE
Shot at 55 mm

FOUR
Shot at 55 mm

FIVE
Shot at 55 mm

SIX
Shot at 55 mm

Fluorescent or some sort of HID lighting? Alternating current cycling. It doesn't look like exposure is off, but white balance.
I can re-create the issue here in my bedroom, lit by a ceiling fan with LED bulbs, so I'm thinking it's some type of internal bracketing in the camera. I THINK I just got it to behave in 'sport' mode, whereby the camera over-rides all settings and does it's own thing.

Still looking at it...

Page 5 of your user manual to see the Bracketing icon in your viewfinder
Page 9, 10, 91 of your user manual for icon in your rear LCD

Page 139 for varying color in bracketed shots
148 bracketing

I can re-create the issue here in my bedroom, lit by a ceiling fan with LED bulbs, so I'm thinking it's some type of internal bracketing in the camera. I THINK I just got it to behave in 'sport' mode, whereby the camera over-rides all settings and does it's own thing.

Still looking at it...
take a look at your shutter, aperture and ISO
put your camera in Manual mode with the same settings and repeat a few shots for comparison.

Still looking at it...

It's not your camera. It's the lighting. It's a function of the AC system. Your lights flicker 120 times a second. Your eyes/brain cannot see it, but the camera can.

Page 5 of your user manual to see the Bracketing icon in your viewfinder
Page 9, 10, 91 of your user manual for icon in your rear LCD

Page 139 for varying color in bracketed shots
148 bracketing
OK- without doing more than going to one of the 'scenes' then returning to my prior setting, it seems to have unlocked whatever was stuck forcing a bracketing of some sort. Not sure what was up, but it's fine now, so I'm happy.

Still looking at it...

It's not your camera. It's the lighting. It's a function of the AC system. Your lights flicker 120 times a second. Your eyes/brain cannot see it, but the camera can.
A solid theory, but I've gotten the camera back to shooting in continuous mode in all lighting without the weird bracketing look- even in the lighting that was producing the bad results a few minutes ago. Thanks to all for taking time out of your Saturday nite to think this thru!

Still looking at it...

A solid theory, but I've gotten the camera back to shooting in continuous mode in all lighting without the weird bracketing look- even in the lighting that was producing the bad results a few minutes ago. Thanks to all for taking time out of your Saturday nite to think this thru!

Does your solution involve changing the shutter speed? :barbershop_quartet_member:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back