Extension tubes, I just ordered this....

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted in another theread that I got my f/1.4 lens, but after doing research, (as frugal as I am), I sent it back and ordered the 50mm f/1.8 because it was cheaper and does close to the same thing. Also does anyone have one of these extension tubes? Amazon.com: Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit for Extreme Close-up, fits Canon EOS 1d,1ds,Mark II, III, IV, 5D, Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, Digital Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, t2i, t3, t3i, 450D, 500D, 550D, 1000D, 1100D
I ordered one of these...looks like I will need to practice manual focus.....:confused:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
THose $11 tubes are going to be a royal PITA...they have ZERO communication with the Canon lens or with the Canon body...I would seriously,seriously, send them back and get a set that has electronic contacts, so that you can actually SET the lens aperture using the camera in the normal mode.

I would suggest looking at a $50-$60 set that has electronic contacts. These are what one calls "false economy".

I agree with Derrel.. and would even go further, as in only recommending the Kenkos... not the cheap copy!

both these guys are right. Also stop buying cheap stuff before doing research, there is a diffrence between being frugal and throwing away money.
I initially thought i was frugal by buying off brand flashes and gimicky lenses, in the end i ended up buying the proper nikon gear and had to spend more money that what i intended. The best thing for you to do is buy used, sell upgrade.

both these guys are right. Also stop buying cheap stuff before doing research, there is a diffrence between being frugal and throwing away money.
I initially thought i was frugal by buying off brand flashes and gimicky lenses, in the end i ended up buying the proper nikon gear and had to spend more money that what i intended. The best thing for you to do is buy used, sell upgrade.

For the $11 bucks it cost, I think I will keep it for fun. I did do some research on this, some loved it, some hated it. The one's who hated it had to learn manual focus. Anyway, for $11 , my big Canon bag needs more stuff in it (being sarcastic, LOL). Anyway, I did just order my new lens, can't wait til it gets here!!! Woot! Ya never know....I may get an awesome shot with this extension tube, so I would rule it out before I've given it a try :) Also, if I hate it, I love shooting targets (another hobby of mine), so will be a great target!! :lol:

I always say, "The stingiest person spends the most!"

Only thing is manual focus is normal enough in macro, but only lenses with physical apertures can be adjusted, there is a way around by taking lens off when set and dof switch pressed but it is messy and I don't like the idea of it. But having said that you may love them. Post some shots with them when you have some

For the $11 bucks it cost, I think I will keep it for fun. I did do some research on this, some loved it, some hated it. The one's who hated it had to learn manual focus. Anyway, for $11 , my big Canon bag needs more stuff in it (being sarcastic, LOL). Anyway, I did just order my new lens, can't wait til it gets here!!! Woot! Ya never know....I may get an awesome shot with this extension tube, so I would rule it out before I've given it a try :) Also, if I hate it, I love shooting targets (another hobby of mine), so will be a great target!! :lol:

You will not be able to adjust your aperture they are a waste of time, so you have made 2 mistakes by sending back the 50F1.4 it is much better than the plastic F1.8

First up I agree with the others that these are not the extension tubes I would recommend to people because they lack the metal contacts. This means you lose both auto focus and aperture control with the extension tubes. The loss of AF isn't, as you've rightly noted, a problem since most macro is done in manual focusing anyway - however the loss of aperture control makes things somewhat harder.

Just bare on the lens with these tubes you'll be shooting the lens wide open (smallest f number) which means the depth of field you'll be working with is razor thin - this makes things very tricky, but also limits you somewhat since you have to take every shot wide open and can't stop down to gain depth of field.

There is a way around this though, with Canon lenses only (Nikon this does not work and I'm unsure about other brands). To use this trick do the following:

1) Put the lens onto the camera without the extension tubes and set the aperture to the desired value (use aperture priority or manual mode for this)

2) Press and hold down the depth of field preview button (that tiny button on the front of the camera just under the lens mount - you should hear the aperture blades close and see the viewfinder image get darker when you press it).

3) Whilst keeping the camera on and the depth of field preview button held down remove the lens. This will trick the aperture blades into remaining shut (does not damage the lens).

4) Attach the extension tubes to the lens and then attach the setup to the camera. You can now shoot with a smaller aperture, however you'll have a darker viewfinder image to focus with because the aperture blades have to remain shut the whole time.

5) To re-set the aperture blades just connect the lens to a camera (camera turned off) and turn the camera on.

First up I agree with the others that these are not the extension tubes I would recommend to people because they lack the metal contacts. This means you lose both auto focus and aperture control with the extension tubes. The loss of AF isn't, as you've rightly noted, a problem since most macro is done in manual focusing anyway - however the loss of aperture control makes things somewhat harder.

Just bare on the lens with these tubes you'll be shooting the lens wide open (smallest f number) which means the depth of field you'll be working with is razor thin - this makes things very tricky, but also limits you somewhat since you have to take every shot wide open and can't stop down to gain depth of field.

There is a way around this though, with Canon lenses only (Nikon this does not work and I'm unsure about other brands). To use this trick do the following:

1) Put the lens onto the camera without the extension tubes and set the aperture to the desired value (use aperture priority or manual mode for this)

2) Press and hold down the depth of field preview button (that tiny button on the front of the camera just under the lens mount - you should hear the aperture blades close and see the viewfinder image get darker when you press it).

3) Whilst keeping the camera on and the depth of field preview button held down remove the lens. This will trick the aperture blades into remaining shut (does not damage the lens).

4) Attach the extension tubes to the lens and then attach the setup to the camera. You can now shoot with a smaller aperture, however you'll have a darker viewfinder image to focus with because the aperture blades have to remain shut the whole time.

5) To re-set the aperture blades just connect the lens to a camera (camera turned off) and turn the camera on.

But can fill you sensor with dust bunnies

Not any more nor any less than normal lens removal and addition will.

nobody cares about auto focus for macro shots, i shoot a 105 vr micro and i never have it on auto focus. Auto focus is slow, hunts and is not accurate for macro shots. Its not that its bad for $11 its just a small piece of round metal tubing. The reason you'd get the others is for the lens to communicate with the body, changing aperture without taking of the lens then taking off the tubing then putting the lens on then taking it off blah blah blah. Sound like a horrible way of shooting macro. Metering is just as important as aperature control as well, especially if you will use off camera flash.

I know how you are feeling i was the same way, bought everything left and right, i actually have the same tubes for my nikon... i ended up buying a nikon afs 105 micro after buying a reversing ring, extension tubes close up filters lens attaching rings... in the end the dedicated lens is what i needed plus a proper set of tubes. You dont know what you want until you start playing with your camera.

Overread said:
SNIP>To use this trick do the following:

All that fun--just for having saved $40 over the cost of an economy set of tubes with electronic contacts!!!:sexywink:

Not any more nor any less than normal lens removal and addition will.

If you shoot with a 5D it does, i dare you to remove your lens with camera turned on at a motox event when it is dry, i forgot years ago and every image after was not useable

Most reactions

New Topics

Back