Extension tubes

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using my Nikon P500 for close up and macro floral work. I recently purchased a used Nikon D70S with a 18-70mm lens in absolutely perfect condition. I've looked at the Tamron 90mm @ $500, but it's more then our household budget can spare right now. So I was thinking about purchasing a set of Kenko Macro auto extension tubes. I realize that there will be issues with it being inconvenient in switching tubes, as well as longer exposures to light loss, but it's the final results that count, and the P500 zoom lems just doesn't compare to the 18-70mm Nikon lens. Am I pointed in the right direction, or just kidding myself? One last thing, I don't have the worlds best vision any more. Will there be any brightness issues while using the viewfinder?

thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Keep in mind that when using an extension tube on a wide lens, at the short focal length lenses, the point of focus can actually be pulled back and INTO THE BARREL of the lens. Totally serious...the 12mm and 20 or 25mm extension rings will cause the focus to be extremely close, and you will need to zoom the lens out to its longer focal length ranges when using the short 12 or 13mm tubes. You'll probably find that the 70mm end is the handiest focal length anyhow. There will not be "that much" brightness lost with wither the short or medium tubes. I have the Kenko AF tubes....they are currently the best solution for close-up work without spending a lot of money.

I picked up my new 90mm tamron macro for $300...

Yes...some years back I bought a Tamron 90 AF-SP for $260 from a nice lady who was trading it in at a camera store. Macro lenses are the lenses to look for on the used market--they are frequently bought, played around with for a week to a month, shelved...and then later, traded in for cash or credit toward new gear!!! I have seen 10,20,and even 30 year-old macro lenses in pristine, like-NEW condition, on many,many occasions. I have never bought a brand-new macro lens. And I own a bunch of them.

Keep in mind that when using an extension tube on a wide lens, at the short focal length lenses, the point of focus can actually be pulled back and INTO THE BARREL of the lens. Totally serious...the 12mm and 20 or 25mm extension rings will cause the focus to be extremely close, and you will need to zoom the lens out to its longer focal length ranges when using the short 12 or 13mm tubes. You'll probably find that the 70mm end is the handiest focal length anyhow. There will not be "that much" brightness lost with wither the short or medium tubes. I have the Kenko AF tubes....they are currently the best solution for close-up work without spending a lot of money.

Thank you Darrel. for your insight.

I knew that the point of focus was close with the shorter focal lengths, but not that close or inside. The 70mm end is where I'll be planning on doing most of my work. Will be taking a trip to Cameta camera Saturday and picking up a set.

As for DOF, from what I've read, with tubes is really drops down, and you need to compensate by closing down to the smallest f stop available. That's something I'm going to have to get use to.

I picked up my new 90mm tamron macro for $300...

Thanks, but still a little more then I can spend right now. The oil man is due, and that's a quick $600-700 again. Ah, the joys of owning a home here in the north east.

Cameta Camera, yes!!! I have bought from them on several occasions, and have always been happy. Yeah...the doggone cost of heating oil, diesel, and gasoline...I swear, these sky-high fuel prices are ruining the economy. I do not envy anybody who's living in the NE and has to heat through those tough winters...Have fun with the new extension tubes Joel. I think you will find that the longest tube in the set is, basically, virtually useless...and that the short and medium tubes, each used singly, will be your bread and butter...the longest tube is roughly the same length as the shiort + medium stacked together, and so....is basically a third wheel.

Now, if you want to save some money...something "old", like a Nikon M-2 extension tube ($15 or so) will mount an the D70s,and will allow the use of older manual focusing lenses as close-up lenses...something like say an "old" 105mm f/4 Ai Micro-Nikkor in beater condition. Of course, this kills autofocus and automatic light metering, but the all-mechanical lens diaphragm operation Nikon invented in 1959 does allow the old, cheap, non-meter-coupled M-2 tube to mount right onto ANY NIKON SLR ever made. A big outfit like Cameta Camera might very,very likely have a Nikon M-2 extension tube on-hand. Prices on them are low. Just something to think about.

Yes...some years back I bought a Tamron 90 AF-SP for $260 from a nice lady who was trading it in at a camera store. Macro lenses are the lenses to look for on the used market--they are frequently bought, played around with for a week to a month, shelved...and then later, traded in for cash or credit toward new gear!!! I have seen 10,20,and even 30 year-old macro lenses in pristine, like-NEW condition, on many,many occasions. I have never bought a brand-new macro lens. And I own a bunch of them.

Will certainly take a look and ask what they have in stock before I commit to the tubes. I only live 45 mm from Cameta Camera.

Most reactions

Back