Extreme Kayaking. North Fork of the Payette

MReid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alloutdoor.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Juicer Rapid at a record flow of 8000cfs. Paddler is Evan Garcia.

950D3R7937this-oneedited-1.jpg

I think you miss the point :).

Nice, but only a kayaker would like it. Otherwise you must explain your photo.

...you don't stop kayaking when you get old...you get old when you stop kayaking!

I think you miss the point :).

Nice, but only a kayaker would like it. Otherwise you must explain your photo.

...you don't stop kayaking when you get old...you get old when you stop kayaking!

Yep - to joe schmoe this is basically a paddle flowing downstream getting tossed around.

I'm a kayaker (well not really but we do own kayaks and I love to go :lol:) I love it! That would scare the crap outta me!

Maybe so....
It is about the adventure drama and danger and the size of the stones of the guy in the boat. Not just a picture of a kayaker, thanks.
Yes only the best kayakers in the world would try this.

This would make a great motivational poster. Something along the lines of 'when the s*ht keeps coming, just paddle harder'. Nice picture. I like it for the sheer raw power of the water, and the tenacity of the person paddling through it.

IMHO, it would have less impact if the person were more visable. This really shows the danger and struggle. And it's cool looking.

Really? Without anymore than just the tips of the paddles, it just a lost paddle in the rapids. You can still create the image if you see more of the paddler, and the excitement, and danger involved in attempting rapids like this. I don't think I missed the point, I think the OP missed the shot. You must have been able to see him when he came out of this, or at the very least been able to see more of him at some point.

This would make a great motivational poster. Something along the lines of 'when the s*ht keeps coming, just paddle harder'. Nice picture. I like it for the sheer raw power of the water, and the tenacity of the person paddling through it.

IMHO, it would have less impact if the person were more visable. This really shows the danger and struggle. And it's cool looking.

There ya go....you understand the plot. Thanks!

Really? Without anymore than just the tips of the paddles, it just a lost paddle in the rapids. You can still create the image if you see more of the paddler, and the excitement, and danger involved in attempting rapids like this. I don't think I missed the point, I think the OP missed the shot. You must have been able to see him when he came out of this, or at the very least been able to see more of him at some point.

I see what you are saying. Perhaps if he had a series of the shot, entering the water, buried (as pictured) and emerging. That could be a cool montoge as well.

But I also see the picture as it is, and still feel it's a good shot.

See the dark hole photo right bottom corner, he went in there and disappeared, appeared as seen here for a split second then disappeared back into the wave until he came out on the other side, way down stream.

I have plenty of shots from the other side of the wave at my website....I just really like the energy and drama in this one.

Maybe it is true that non kayakers don't get it. Maybe think of it as a base jumper, right as he is leaping off the ledge.

Thanks for the comments.

You STILL do not "get it" do you?? Obviously you know squat about the sport of river kayaking. Your opinion carries no weight on the subject since you have twice indicated that you do not understand what this shows. You are clearly and obviously out of your element here. How can you FAIL, repeatedly and sooooo miserably, to understand what the photograph actually SHOWS??????????????? Apparently you'd like yet another cliche shot of a kayaker paddling along,smiling, happy, through soft,slow-moving,rippling, green water at 300 cfs....Jeeziz.... The point is not to see him "come out of this" as you suggest....the "point" is that he is "in the $h!+", right THEN.... How can you miss that, twice???

Let me give you an analogy: what you want to see is an Indy car, all shiny and on 4 tires, sponsor tags all visible, driver smiling....but this shot is of a wreck on turn 3...AS IT HAPPENS....see the difference? This is the action shot....what you keep harping on is the "cliche" shot...the idea that this is just a lost paddle in the rapids is the kind of statement a non-kayaker would make. Again, you have no idea about what you're talking about in extreme sports photography of this type.​

Excellent photo, the water is really water !:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back