extreme shallow depth of field macro C/C

There are several things that come into play when you want a shallow DOF in your pictures...aperture (big opening / small f/number), focal length (long), distance to subject (near) and distance from subject to background (far).

The picture of the lens caps shows a very thin DOF because the lens is very close to the cap. The further the lens gets from the subject, the deeper the DOF becomes. The pictures of the flowers don't appear to have a very shallow DOF. Do you know what shot settings you used for those? Want to know the aperture and focal length used.

the picture of the leaf and the lens cap where taken with the exact same settings f 1.8 and the focal length is 50mm plus how ever much the extension tubes at on. For the first 3 the only thing that changed was I used f11 to open up my depth of field so I could get more in focus but i would guess it to still be less then 1/2".

I thought they where on the first 3. Like I said the title was a little off even though the DOF was 1/2" or less it was not really a part of the photo and therefore not relevant. I will just call these Flower Close Ups or Macro Flower Shots.

You can actually see the DOF in this shot. It's that narrow strip that's in focus going across the surface of the table. Taken with a 85mm f/1.8 lens at f/1.8 on a Canon XTi. This was just a test shot I took after I got the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens last week.
3480389770_3772205220_o.jpg

AMAZING example of DOF! :O)

I got my 85L. Man, talk about INCREDIBLE bokeh... Lordy.

525041854_mfv9t-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back