Extreme Weather Sealing Capabilites on D300

Probably would have if it had gotten in the camera. Typically the outside body of cameras is magnesium but inside lenses and inside the body, even a bit of salt may result in a rusty death for your camera. One of the Time Life photographers Rentmeester described a 2 minute shower in the tropics, in 1970 which despite his umbrella caused the camera to rust and die within weeks. Modern weather sealing has come a long way.

Dunno about the D300 but even cameras that don't have weather sealing can do alright, I had Camera Armor on my D80 and that helped a bit but the D80 went through a few dust storms in the desert in Israel, and survived intact.

sometimes it makes me sad to see such a beautiful tool rusty. But thats how you know she's getting put to good use!

I dropped my D100 in a river. This is a camera that is known for not handling water conditions well. Granted, I did the "OH CRAP!!!" and got it back out of the water nearly instantly... but it still got quite wet. Lens had a lot of moisture, as did the battery compartment and some other areas.

She still works fine years later. I haven't chucked my D300 into the river yet. I'll let you know how it works out when I do. :)

Garbz, I assume you mean Celcius? We use the "F" word (no, not that F word) here in VA. So 30 and humid would be a little strange. Australia -- now there are some cool photos.

Most reactions

Back