Eye of the Storm

dinodan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I put this up in the landscape gallery and got zero comments. I wish I could make it a bit smaller so it would fit my screen.

Shot on Ektachrome 200 with my F100. Nikkor 105mm 1:2.5.

Anybody? I happen to like the sense of foreboding (which is what I was mainly going after), the comparative smallness of the houses, and the subtle gradations of the sky.

Folly_Storm_1.jpg

Well the photo definitely has some good points, but the framing just isn't working....

it is way to out of balance in my opinion... I do like the opening in the sky, gives the feel of a calming in a storm.. but the land vs the sky is way out of kilter... and not enough detail in the land and houses...

Your exposure is working for the sky, but not the land...I don't think a crop would work for this because the most interesting part of the sky is the opening, which is to far up to warrant a crop...

wow tuff call here....

Well the photo definitely has some good points, but the framing just isn't working....

it is way to out of balance in my opinion... I do like the opening in the sky, gives the feel of a calming in a storm.. but the land vs the sky is way out of kilter... and not enough detail in the land and houses...

Your exposure is working for the sky, but not the land...I don't think a crop would work for this because the most interesting part of the sky is the opening, which is to far up to warrant a crop...

wow tuff call here....

Thanks for your comments!

it says your images are ok to edit, so i hope you dont mind the edit i did.

i agree about the sky. the opening is something that looks better there than if you cropped it out, so i cropped that portion off the top, lowered it and blended it together. i also sharpened the houses a little, and brightened them slightly so they stand out more.

this is just a quick edit, so it may not be perfect, but it gives you an idea of what i think would make it work a little bit better.

d69068e9.jpg

it says your images are ok to edit, so i hope you dont mind the edit i did.

i agree about the sky. the opening is something that looks better there than if you cropped it out, so i cropped that portion off the top, lowered it and blended it together. i also sharpened the houses a little, and brightened them slightly so they stand out more.

this is just a quick edit, so it may not be perfect, but it gives you an idea of what i think would make it work a little bit better.

d69068e9.jpg

You know, I like the way it looks with your changes. It does work well. Thank you for your effort. Having said that, I'm old-fashioned, and I cling to the idea that "you dance with the one that brung ya'". I really have misgivings about altering photographs that are a representation of reality. I want to stay with what the 105mm lens "saw".

My objective with this photograph was not to create a pretty picture, but, in fact, to make the viewer a bit uneasy and uncomfortable. Here in coastal S. Carolina, we are perched on the shallow edge of the continent and are at the mercy of the tides and the many violent storms that pass this way. This photo was meant to be a representation of that. Its aesthetic imperfections, I think, reinforced the uneasiness that I was trying to convey.

I think that my photo, as originally presented, would work well as a large print, which is way different that having to scroll up and down on a computer screen.

Once again, thank you very much for the critique and your effort. You did a great job. As an artist, I have to stick with my original, which once again was not meant to be just a pretty picture, but to generate a visceral emotional response.

You know, I like the way it looks with your changes. It does work well. Thank you for your effort. Having said that, I'm old-fashioned, and I cling to the idea that "you dance with the one that brung ya'". I really have misgivings about altering photographs that are a representation of reality. I want to stay with what the 105mm lens "saw".

My objective with this photograph was not to create a pretty picture, but, in fact, to make the viewer a bit uneasy and uncomfortable. Here in coastal S. Carolina, we are perched on the shallow edge of the continent and are at the mercy of the tides and the many violent storms that pass this way. This photo was meant to be a representation of that. Its aesthetic imperfections, I think, reinforced the uneasiness that I was trying to convey.

I think that my photo, as originally presented, would work well as a large print, which is way different that having to scroll up and down on a computer screen.

Once again, thank you very much for the critique and your effort. You did a great job. As an artist, I have to stick with my original, which once again was not meant to be just a pretty picture, but to generate a visceral emotional response.

i know what you mean when you say "dance with the one that brung ya". i dont normally do much editing to my shots, and i dont normally do edits like the one i did here, but after reading New England Moments reply, it made me curious to see how it would look the way i edited it.

after doing and then posting the edit, i still prefer the original too. i love scenery like that. i used to live in North Carolina, and miss seeing days like that. we dont get any like that where i live in New York.

Most reactions

Back