eye strain

spiralout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Am I the only person that experiences eye strain after a lot of shooting? I haven't seen a single post that mentions it. I wear contacts and don't have perfect vision with them on, but I'm assuming I'm not the only person with less than perfect vision. Have any of you had problems with eye strain, and do you have any tips on alleviating it?

After taking a few shots, put the camera down, and look at something fairly distant from you (focus your eyes on something in the distance) and just relax for a minute or two. You could be uncomfortable with focusing at the screen which is so close to your eyes. The same concept as staring at a monitor for too long.

A side note, how do people use contacts, I can't touch my eyes...gives me the shivers.

PrimaryCanary said:
After taking a few shots, put the camera down, and look at something fairly distant from you (focus your eyes on something in the distance) and just relax for a minute or two. You could be uncomfortable with focusing at the screen which is so close to your eyes. The same concept as staring at a monitor for too long.

A side note, how do people use contacts, I can't touch my eyes...gives me the shivers.

Haha, it took my 20 minutes (no joke!) to put my first contact in...and another 5 to get it out. :p

Thanx for the tip, I'll have to give it a try.

You're not the only one that's blind here, I'll usually take a break every so often to give my eyes a rest (usually between locations) and I usually won't end up with a headache at the end of it all. :)

If you're wondering: I wear glasses, I've applied for Contacts but I haven't been bothered to go and get them fitted. :?

I don't wear glasses. I'm slightly short sited in one eye, can't remember which though. I do get a headache if I use the viewfinder too much. It makes me all ratty and irritable as well.
The only time I got eye strain was when I played too much GTA 3 a while ago. I had lovely big red veins all around my eyes for a few weeks. Red veins are ok, it shows you've damaged you eye but that it is healing. If they're not red then it isn't being healed. That's what I've been told anyway.

I'm what you would call "half-blind" with 0% vision on my left eye and with the use of a contact on my right just below 100%.

I like to focus muself and that's pretty much impossible without the contact.

I think this illness (it's called kiratoconus, I believe) is what's keeping me from a professional photography career.

The big problem for me is conjunctivitis (an infection of the outer coating of the eye). It's very infectious and very common.
Because it's easy to catch you can get it from other peoples cameras - hire cameras are the worst. Film cameramen usually have their own eyepiece because of this and people in the know carry anti-bacterial wipes to clean things before use. I have heard it referred to as the 'photographer's disease'.
The infection causes a discharge from the eye, gumming it up and making your vision blurry. If left untreated it can get really bad but it responds to antiseptic eye-drops (I use Brolene).
Any one here ever had it?

Hertz van Rental said:
The big problem for me is conjunctivitis (an infection of the outer coating of the eye). It's very infectious and very common.
Because it's easy to catch you can get it from other peoples cameras - hire cameras are the worst. Film cameramen usually have their own eyepiece because of this and people in the know carry anti-bacterial wipes to clean things before use. I have heard it referred to as the 'photographer's disease'.
The infection causes a discharge from the eye, gumming it up and making your vision blurry. If left untreated it can get really bad but it responds to antiseptic eye-drops (I use Brolene).
Any one here ever had it?
Those of us who can't use words like conjuctivitis (hey I did it!) call it 'pink eye' I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Your eyelid feels like sand paper and air feels even worse. Anybody ever had what is known as 'flash'? It's something welders can get and it is akin to sunburn on your eyeballs. Never had it, but some of my friends have. Nasty stuff.
As for eye strain the only thing for it is to rest after so many shots. I can usually go about 10 shots in decent light and about 5 in low light. Then I need a break for about 10 mins.

I use both eyes to shoot. How about you? maybe that has something to do with it.

I've always wondered how people do that! I get terrible headaches from trying to keep one eye shut while looking through the viewfinder but I simply can't manage to filter out the secondary eye. Got a tip??

photong said:
I use both eyes to shoot. How about you? maybe that has something to do with it.

How do you do that?

I wear glasses and I'm so frustrated right now cause I don't feel like I am getting a good view. It never feels right... and my big nose is always in the way. I wonder if maybe I need an eyepiece that protrudes a little further. Anyone have anything like that?

spiralout said:
Am I the only person that experiences eye strain after a lot of shooting? I haven't seen a single post that mentions it. I wear contacts and don't have perfect vision with them on, but I'm assuming I'm not the only person with less than perfect vision. Have any of you had problems with eye strain, and do you have any tips on alleviating it?
Are you talking about when your eyes get blurry and your head kind of hurts? That happens to me all the time, especially during long shoots. I actually have more than perfect vision, so it can't be about that. For the longest time I just thought I was weird. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. :]

Crikey, we're either all sick, blind or something. For the record, I wear glasses - can't be doing with contacts *shudder* and the F3HP is the daddy. About the only thing better is a MF waistlevel finder.

The view through an F3HP:

nikonf3hpback.jpg

Can't you get diopters for your camera? They are a small magnifier for the eye piece. I know it helps some people.

I have been welding for ten years and have never got welders flash. I personally believe that is because I have always welded with contacts. And no they won't melt to your eyeballs. ;)

Most reactions

Back