face in the crowd

I know I've learned something. If I ever post photos of people on here, make sure they're hot. I'd hate to think what people would say if someone had taken a photo like this of me (I'd probably run away crying).

There were several harsh and unfair comments. An yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, I don't think the above comment is fair. Through photography, a photographer is usually trying to convey something - whether it be a story, a message, beauty, etc. I think that (this is only my opinion) this is what is "wrong" with these images. For the most part, they do not provide the viewer with anything. They are cropped so close that there is little story or context. While this could work if the emotions were right, it didn't. For instance, image 5 (could you number them please?) Has the person completely off-guard, cropped in closely in a manner that is unflattering to that person. You can even see crumbs on their face! So it's not that you must post images only of "hot" people, but you have to be considerate as a photographer. You could take a well exposed image of a beautiful model, but if it is while they are blinking and talking, or chewing, or something of the sorts, it will not be a correct representation of the person.

I hope I have made my thoughts clear - it's sometimes hard to type the intended meaning. Basically, I think that these shots - while techinically correct - are unflatttering, and do not offer the viewer any interest. This highlights any "flaws", as that is all there is to see. Comments were very inconsiderate, and it makes me wonder...

K8, thank you. That was an awesome post that helped me gain some enlightenment on proper critique. But at least we agree some of the posts are uncalled for (but that is part of the price of posting on an internet forum, lol).

And to the OP, I hope you haven't been offended by anything that has been said, and PLEASE keep posting your photos. PLEASE!?!

No problem, and thank you! I'm glad it came out right!

And yes, automaton2, don't be scared away!

Hey, if you can generate some controversy with your images, that's great! Art is supposed to make you stop and think, and sometimes make you feel a little uncomfortable... so I think you've done that! :) Personally I find the pictures a little bit voyeuristic and creepy, and maybe even a bit exploitative, but if you can evoke an emotional response from people who see your photos, that is not always easy to do.

Their personalities may be good and they may be good people at heart, but we are talking about their physical outer appearance...
Hmmm..... My bad.

I certainly overlooked that part of the OPs request for C&C.

Hmmm..... My bad.

I certainly overlooked that part of the OPs request for C&C.
yeah me too.....

I guess we missed when it became a beauty contest and not about the photography..... In my opinion people who aren't perfect make the best stories in photographs. It gets boring looking at the same model every day. So, when this became Miss America I don't know, but all in all it's none of our business the looks of someone who happens to be a subject, it should be about the photography.... some photography is supposed to convey beauty, in this case... I don't think these are beauty shots, so having completely beautiful people would have been a waste of a shot, and a waste of my time....

I can't believe the people that are saying that "they are beautiful on the inside", its ridiculous. Do you know these people? When the people are the main focus of a shot, they should be appealing to the eye. Are they doing anything to take your attention away from that? If there were action in the shots or anything else, it wouldn't matter, but there isn't. This isn't a preschool where you have to be conscious of others feelings. And just b/c something provokes controversy doesn't make it art...Michael Jackson dangling his baby over the railing was controversial, so was that art? I'm not shallow by any means, but we live in a world where looks matter, like it or not. The one of the black girl is actually decent. Her pose and the composition actually create a sense of curiosity. The others are basically just snapshots with a nice camera.

Last edited:
Oh get off your high horses. Some people are ugly for God's sake. Our differences are what make the world go 'round but that doesn't take away from the fact that some people look like hey got their asses beat with the ugly stick.

If you can honestly tell me that there aren't ugly people in those photos, then you're obviously a better person than me....and blind.

As for the photos, I'm not too impressed. I don't see anything special about them.

I like the focus you got in the eyes of most of the pictures. To me that is where my eye went first. While they were not super models by any means, they almost all had stunning eyes.

I do agree that they would benefit from being less sharpened, not the eyes though, those look great.

I personally like seeing "REAL" people in photographs once in a while. Like it or not THAT is what most of america(don't know about other countries) looks like, the 'supermodel' look is just unrealistic in most people and shouldn't be expected.

I hope that people do not judge their clients under the same "must be beautiful to get picture taken" attitude. The goal of a good photographer is to find beauty in anything, and to me, the OP found that in these peoples eyes.

Good Job!

yeah me too.....

I guess we missed when it became a beauty contest and not about the photography..... In my opinion people who aren't perfect make the best stories in photographs. It gets boring looking at the same model every day. So, when this became Miss America I don't know, but all in all it's none of our business the looks of someone who happens to be a subject, it should be about the photography.... some photography is supposed to convey beauty, in this case... I don't think these are beauty shots, so having completely beautiful people would have been a waste of a shot, and a waste of my time....

Golly-gee... I must be a Pulitzer Prize then! :lol: Oh, and Ryan, when you have a moment, could you please post a picture of yourself with your "World's Most Beautiful Person" award? I've never actually seen one.

There is a story in every face. There is a window we each have into the lives and emotions of the people we meet every day. That window is our face.

That being said there is some technical work that could be done here.

***Edit: Everyone is beautiful and always will be. No one is any less attractive than anyone else because we are all beautiful inside.

Last edited:
***Edit: Because apparently it's ok for others to make smartass comments but I can't

Last edited:
Your picture? We have a thing about only posting our own pics... :):thumbup:

Most reactions

Back