You're right, I did work at this shot for a while. I milled around the park looking for the shot I wanted. When I came across the small pedestrian bridge, I decided I wanted a shot with it. I wanted a fall feeling, so I found the perfect leaf in a pile near the bridge and carefully placed my subject.
I liked the shadows and natural lighting. I did use a strobe to bring out the details of the leaf, but tried many different settings until I got what I felt was the perfect mix - with the goal being to naturally blend the strobe light with the ambient light.
Several times people wanting to cross the bridge forced me to stop what I was doing and get up... and 3 times people stepped on my leaf!!! I was so frustrated.
But I got the shot I wanted. I'm glad folks like it.