Fall Family Portraits

Stacey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first go'round with doing family portraits. I can't even begin to say how nervous/scared I was! I didn't personally know the family, they're friends of my best friend - but they were absolutely the NICEST family you'd ever meet! I made sure to let them know that I'd never done anything like this before so not to let their expectations get to high! I told them they were my first "victims" - just in time for Halloween! At any rate, I know there are a couple things I should have done better...like cutting off their hands or feet, or getting the top of the picture too close to the head, or feet. It was also very sunny so I do know about the bright spots and the fact that in some the shadow is bad and they may be squinting! Some are hazy..lol...it was my first time! Still nervous, even to post these but so far several people I showed them too love them and I've got 3 more familes who want me to do their pictures (these people I know very well!) I have these in flickr and they look fine but when I uploaded them to phototbucket for some reason they're looking funky. SO I apologize in advance. They look fine everywhere but photobucket! But please C/C...and please be polite!

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007019ED.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007008.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007007co.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007039.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007032c.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007072ED.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007053ED.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007113CO.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007110.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007094ED.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007146.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007134.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007190CO.jpg

MAHERFAMILYPORTRAITSOCT20-2007252CO.jpg

A lot to go through, so I'll give my favs.

1 - best of the lot
Would've been #3, but the back of the fathers' head is indiscernable. - go to #2
I'll give you #7 as a happy family, but #8 is a joyful family.
#12 & #14.

I like 7, 9 & 12 the best.

Several of them seem soft, slightly out of focus or camera shake and sun flares. I have to say I like your style though. Allot of out of the norm sweet moments here. Very fun, good job.
I have experienced your same problem with some images. They look fine in Iphoto or photoshop or even flickr but when I go to share them they look soft.
Can we see your flickr site?

I like 7, 9 & 12 the best.

Several of them seem soft, slightly out of focus or camera shake and sun flares. I have to say I like your style though. Allot of out of the norm sweet moments here. Very fun, good job.
I have experienced your same problem with some images. They look fine in Iphoto or photoshop or even flickr but when I go to share them they look soft.
Can we see your flickr site?

Thanks! I'm learning and I have so many friends who want me to do their fall pictures so I'm really excited! Lots of Practice! At any rate, my flickr sites are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stacej_84
http://www.flickr.com/photos/democrat_brat

There are 142 total...between the 2! I ran out of space in one of them! :D I hope you enjoy them!

Thanks again!

Wow, that's a lot of pictures (both here and on Flickr)! Nice job, especially considering the circumstances.

I have to agree with Kundalini, number one is the real winner, but there is certainly something to like in all of them. Even in the photos that may not be the best, technically speaking, you captured some really sweet moments. I'll bet your clients were thrilled!

And from "Nowhere, Illinois", you say? How far's that from Kankakee (where I'm held up)?

hi. some nice images you have there. I agree that some look soft but you know I notice troubles with things looking strange once they've hit photobucket also.
I think in a few of these you could stand to use either a reflector or a little fill flash. :)

Wow, that's a lot of pictures (both here and on Flickr)! Nice job, especially considering the circumstances.

I have to agree with Kundalini, number one is the real winner, but there is certainly something to like in all of them. Even in the photos that may not be the best, technically speaking, you captured some really sweet moments. I'll bet your clients were thrilled!

And from "Nowhere, Illinois", you say? How far's that from Kankakee (where I'm held up)?

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from you! But I'm horrible with directions so I can't tell you which way! I'm in Lacon...between Henry and Chillicothe (or Peoria)! I actually bought my car in Kankakee and have friends who go to school at Olivet so I've been your way a couple times! :wink:

hi. some nice images you have there. I agree that some look soft but you know I notice troubles with things looking strange once they've hit photobucket also.
I think in a few of these you could stand to use either a reflector or a little fill flash. :)

Thanks Kathi! I used fill flash quite a bit in my editing because most of the pictures were shadowed...:meh: And this is going to sound really bad but I have no idea what a reflector is! Aren't those the big white umbrellas that photographers use? How does one make a homemade reflector? LOL, sorry, but I am very much a "blonde" when it comes to technical terms! LOL....but I truly am a blonde so please don't take offense to that comment, tee hee! Any who...thanks for the kind words!

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from you! But I'm horrible with directions so I can't tell you which way! I'm in Lacon...between Henry and Chillicothe (or Peoria)! I actually bought my car in Kankakee and have friends who go to school at Olivet so I've been your way a couple times! :wink:

Awesome! I was thinking about going to Olivet, but ended up at Kankakee Community College instead. Plan is to move to Chicago in a few years.

After a quick MapQuest, I've discovered that you are two hours and four minutes west of me. :wink:

Welp, take care!

I loved number 1 the most. Only comment on it would to play up the contrast a little more in photoshop. Great job! Some wonderful family moments in there.

i love these photos some are not that sharp but you really have caught the family love there.

as for reflectors have a look on ebay plenty for sale.

im in uk and you can get 5 different coloured ones [white black gold silver transparent] for bout 15 pound thats english pound.

and usually they tell you what each one is used for.

but just start a different thread if you want to know more and i will look out for it

grea job and good luck on the other shoots

#1: I love this one, great close-up and good colours!
#2 and #3: Looks cute, but not very sharp. And there is a little to much overexposure IMO. (I don't know if that's good english :blushing:)
#4 and #10: Nice idea, but now very sharp. And I think this one would be better if you would stand some lower.
#5: Nice :)
#6: Cute! I like the light trought the leafs, the colours are cery nice! IMO it's a pity that the feet of the girl aren't at the photo!
#14 is also very nice!!

My favs are 1, 6, 7 and 14. Good job!:D

Very nice series! You could use #13 as an advertising for example for an insurance company: "Love, happiness, bla bla bla... We take care of you and your health..." ;-)

Most reactions

Back