TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Just after Christmas my Dad and I had a wee trip out to a nearby (ish) waterfall to have a go with some long exposures and a 10 stop ND filter which neither of us had used before. Despite the weather being quite good when we left, by the time we got here it was dull, overcast and threating to rain which was hardly ideal. It was a good excesise in using the filter though so all is good. I also learned not to forget the cap for the back of the viewfinder as I had to cover the back of the camera my warm jumper in an attempt to avoid the reflections creating unwanted flare which left me shivering for a few minutes and wasn't always sucessful.

Far from perfect but her's a couple of shots from that day.

Falls of Falloch 1 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Falls of Falloch 2 by wee_pete, on Flickr

C&C is always welcome

They are nice, but there does seem to be a magenta tinge to them. I guess getting the WB right with the big stopper is tough.

Color is all wonky. Are you compensating the WB to make up for the filter cast?

I do like the setting.
16142435324_9d25038d98_o.jpg

Interesting....that's not the first thing I thought would be picked up but hey, that's why C&C is useful.

I didn't make an effort to make an accurate colour redition here, just fiddled with the sliders until I got something that was pleasing to my eye as I think an accurate colour here looked boring. I do have a shot without the filter so can compare.

I just tried to make an edit to get the colours more accurate but the foreground rocks end up too green while the background is reasonably good. I'll try and get a good balance between the two and see what you think if I can find the time. I'm on nights this week so it may take a few days. In the meantime please feel free to chime in!

Did you try any shorter exposures? I tried a couple if these shots and started out with 20-30 second exposures but found the water was too smooth for my taste. I liked it more when I brought it down to 5-10 seconds. I guess it depends on the speed of the flow of water though too.

Did you try any shorter exposures? I tried a couple if these shots and started out with 20-30 second exposures but found the water was too smooth for my taste. I liked it more when I brought it down to 5-10 seconds. I guess it depends on the speed of the flow of water though too.

I only have one straight shot without the filter at 1.3 seconds but TBH the flow of water was quite heavy. We'd had a couple of days of rain so they ended up quite similar in terms of water blur. But for me this was an excersise of using the filter and to try and get used to the 10 stop light reduction more than anything else and the day was so dull I had to bump up my ISO to even get the 30 sec exposure with the 10 stop reduction.

Most reactions

Back