Family portraits: tips, equipment and what to provide after the shoot?

kiso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am shooting my first family in a couple of weeks. Not having done this type of shoot before, I'm wondering if I could get some tips here. I was also wondering what equipment is typically used in these shoots? (I will be shooting outdoors.) Is there anything I absolutely should look into renting/borrowing from somebody? What lens(es) are recommended? As well, what do I provide the family for the shoot - digital copies? Prints? (What size?) or a CD?

Thanks.

:confused: Let me get this straight; you're undertaking a paid commission (I assume, since you've posted in the business forum) and you don't know what EQUIPMENT is used? Does it not strike you that you might be just a little unprepared?

When I do a family shoot I will have two bodies, fast glass (2.8 or faster) from 24-200mm (plus a UWA if I want to try something interesting), sufficient lighting for the conditions, battery-powered inverters if mains power is not available, a wide selection of modifiers, colour checker card, light meter, reflectors, and another bag or two of odds & ends.
As for delivery, well that will be whatever has been agreed on before hand and signed in your contract. Right?

:confused: Let me get this straight; you're undertaking a paid commission (I assume, since you've posted in the business forum) and you don't know what EQUIPMENT is used? Does it not strike you that you might be just a little unprepared?

When I do a family shoot I will have two bodies, fast glass (2.8 or faster) from 24-200mm (plus a UWA if I want to try something interesting), sufficient lighting for the conditions, battery-powered inverters if mains power is not available, a wide selection of modifiers, colour checker card, light meter, reflectors, and another bag or two of odds & ends.
As for delivery, well that will be whatever has been agreed on before hand and signed in your contract. Right?

Said like a true master. Definitely look into contracts if you haven't already - perhaps (preferably) even talk to a lawyer. Good luck!

I am shooting my first family in a couple of weeks. Not having done this type of shoot before, I'm wondering if I could get some tips here. I was also wondering what equipment is typically used in these shoots? (I will be shooting outdoors.) Is there anything I absolutely should look into renting/borrowing from somebody? What lens(es) are recommended? As well, what do I provide the family for the shoot - digital copies? Prints? (What size?) or a CD?

As said, what did you agree on? ... and a camera is typically used. Maybe pastels or charcoals instead, I guess.

I was asked to do this by a model I worked with so there is no contract. I guess I'll ask her what she expects though.

Thanks.

Well, I'll tailor my reply to my estimation of your skill level. First family shoot,eh? It could become a disaster, if you allow it to. So, do not allow the shoot to get out of control. Start with the shoot agreement and terms, and get that worked out BEFORE the shoot. Deliver no more than 20 images on CD, with a Statement of Copyright and Client Usage Rights in a text file on the CD. State that the disc contains 20 images in high-resolution JPEG format suitable for printing-out, and that the bearer of the disc has the right to print any and all images. If you don't have this statement on the disc, WalMart or Costco or Sam's Club or RiteAid or Walgreen's might very well refuse to make prints for them. Include a statement that the 20 images are also available on the disc in e-mail and web use size. NAME the files differently.

GROUP-1-PRINT.JPG for a print file, and web-group1_sm.jpg would be the way to split the names so there is no confusion. Note that the web- prefix starts the names of the smaller files, which keeps those wayyyyyyy down in the file name hierarchy. The PRINT files are in ALL-CAPS so there's no mistaking a PRINT file with a web- file when ordering prints. Keep the names short, for easier use on print kiosks.

To prevent a disaster: do not shoot beyond your skill level and knowledge level. Stick with what you KNOW you can actually "do". FInd some decent lighting where there is some light on the peoples' faces, but not squinty light, and make sure their eyes are not "raccoon eyes", with dark eye sockets. Most shoots that are booked this way are people who just want some pictures of their family. So...when it comes time to shoot, you need to be able to deliver. The key is decent lighting. You need to either FIND the light, or modify it, or entirely create the lighting. Renting gear is not the answer, I think...that means new,unfamiliar gear. Stick with what you KNOW you can do, and do THAT. That's my advice for you.

I just did a family shoot for free. I provided 99 processed images on a CD overnight.

Equipment used: Nikon D90; 50mm 1.8; 35mm 1.8. One 24"x24" softbox, 4 YN 560 speedlights. White muslin backdrop.

I just did a family shoot for free. I provided 99 processed images on a CD overnight.

Equipment used: Nikon D90; 50mm 1.8; 35mm 1.8. One 24"x24" softbox, 4 YN 560 speedlights. White muslin backdrop.

How many people?

Most reactions

Back