Fashion photography, need a lens to compliment 50mm prime

Dark Anghell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So as the title states, I want to know of a good lens for Canon Rebel XT. I already have 18-55mm kit lens which is OK. Yesterday I received 50mm f1.8 II, and with few images that i did take, it's amazing! I am selling my 80-200mm f4.5-5.5 lens because it's a bit too slow and image quality is not crystal clear, the contrast is not that great either.

So having said that, I keep on hearing that for fashion photography I should actually be staying in 80-135mm range. But I have also seen some amazing photographs that I loved, and they were done with a wide angle. So having said that, any suggestions on a good lens? I don't want to spend more than $400 on a lens.

Check out the EF 85mm F1.8 lens. Not much else that I can think of, that will fit such a low budget.

hehehe... I'm partial to the 85mm. Big Mike is right. On a crop you are talking about an effective range of 133mm.

Btw, don't sell that lens. Its worthless. Can be had for $75. Do what I did with my 80-200mm. Donate it. It went to a highschool teacher for his students across the country and he paid for shipping too. Msg me for details. If yo uare really hard up and you itemize your taxes, he'll send you a form for tax purposes.

-JD-

Right now I have that lens posted up on e-bay...I may just take it off and do what JD suggested and donate it to a school.

I am even considering renting the 85mm and 135mm lens and see which one I like more. Because for the time being all my shots will be done outdoors, but if I set up a small studio in my apt., having a lens that can capture the whole torso with limited distance will be important (although I already have a 50mm that should do the job).

I'm thinking the 135mm will be too long, but I'm not an expert.

Your camera has a crop factor of 1.4x, which means that a 135mm focal lenght will look similar to 190mm, which might be too long.
50mm = 75mm
85mm = 119mm

Those should be the best focal lenghts for portraits on your crop sensor camera

Your camera has a crop factor of 1.4x,
1.6 actually ;)

Your camera has a crop factor of 1.4x, which means that a 135mm focal lenght will look similar to 190mm, which might be too long.
Similar to a 216mm lens...on a 35mm film (or full frame DSLR). If the person isn't used to using a 35mm film SLR...then it won't be similar to anything except a 135mm lens on a Rebel XT. ;)

There's a lens rental store about 4 miles away from my house that has great selection. Also I canceled the auction for the 80-200mm lens. Might as well keep it for a little while. Then more than likely go with 85mm lens for fashion shoots.

There's a lens rental store about 4 miles away from my house that has great selection. Also I canceled the auction for the 80-200mm lens. Might as well keep it for a little while. Then more than likely go with 85mm lens for fashion shoots.

If a lot of your shots will be outdoors you should be able to use it still. I understand it may not have the IQ you are looking for but I would keep it around. Never hurts to have more tools to choose from.

I really like my 28-135 IS. Not sure if you're looking for zoom, but it's a good range if you out on location. Not as great obviously as the 85... I use this lens and my 50 on a regular basis- they're practically the only two lenses I go for!

Some dare to use the 100mm f/2.8 macro :sexywink:, but you'll need another hundy to make it happen... and young models.

It is prime!

-Shea

Most reactions

Back