Fashion, portrait, conceptual photography

JackAlexanderUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Honest feedback: I think you're very talented, and at twenty years old, you've got a headstart on most.

I certainly hope you are here to help others learn and not just looking for page views and "facebook likes".
Seriously, you seem like you could become a valuable asset for to help others just starting out.

Look at a few fashion magazines...take a look at how many images are printed as "talls"...

Your image processing techniques are very good, especially for this modern era, but you could really benefit from a few classes in the arts. Composition, the study of the most-effective manner in which to utilize space, is an area where being self-taught can be a big hindrance. Your computer work is good, but the camera-work needs to be elevated to match the image processing and "creative" effects done in software.

Look at a few fashion magazines...take a look at how many images are printed as "talls"...

Agreed. It's as if no one told you that it's ok to turn the camera :D and I believe most fashion photography still ends up in magazines as "tall." Not that I'm an expert, I actually hate fashion, but that still seems to be what I run into.

I also didn't see much that made me think fashion. Portraits yes. Conceptual, no idea what that is.

That said, I agree that you have a head start. You have, however, still quite a bit to learn and if this is the thing you want to do, pick one (fashion, music, ...) and find yourself a job as an assistant with the biggest name in the field you can get.

Good luck to you.

Here are three web pages I just Googled, all showing the heavy emphasis on "talls" in fashion photographs....from Vogue and Elle web sites...

Review - BCBG Max Azria Spring 2012 - BCBG Max Azria - Collections - Vogue
BCBG Max Azria Spring 2012 - Collections - Vogue
Street Talk - Fall Trends - Discover More Street Style on ELLE.com

Take a look especially at the 49 tall shots in the Elle street fashion column...they show the fashions AND a bit of environment/location, all while the camera is held in the"tall" orientation...

Thanks all!

Blackjack: Glad you like em! Thanks a lot.
Bitter Jeweler: I'm here if people want my help, sure! I've got an anonymous ask box on my tumblr (jackalexanderphotography) if anyone would prefer. I get email notifications when somebody asks there, so it'd probably be quickest that way.
Derrel - Shall bear that in mind! I've never really picked up a fashion magazine, although I'm working on trying to shape my style, so I'll definitely work on talls more.
Cloudwalker - I do focus mostly on portraits, but I'm hoping to work with more makeup artists and all-round stylists to try and pin my work to a more specific route... definitely want to get a bit more stuck in to fashion, it's just finding the time (and resources!), but I'm sure I'll get there.

Thanks again guys.

Pretty decent work. Your web hosting is not that great though. many images look distorted and have irregular contrast issues as a result.

Also fashion typically includes specks on what the ladies are wearing. If this is not the focus then it is not fashion, its just pictures of hot chicks. Also nice, but not fashion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back