Fashion shoot - Jenny

NAKA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few weeks ago I did my first fashion shoot, take a look here: Jenny ? Final | Photo and a Song

Shot using Canon 60D, 18-200mm IS lens (f/3.5-5.6) and Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM in RAW format. Post-production in Lightroom 3. General feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the site. You will tend to get more responses by posting photos on here. A lot of people won't click through to another site.

Thanks Ron. Here's an image to start discussion:

$jenny-31.jpg

General feedback would be to cease and desist with the body-amputating shots that are framed horizontally, with her lopped off at weird junctures. Far too many of your pictures show the model, cut off awkwardly, with her occupying perhaps 20% of the frame, and then huge chunks of the left and right sides showing us dead, empty, uninteresting space. I have no issue with horizontal photos when they are done well, but there are far too high a percentage of shots that just simply "chop her off" in ways that are just very unacceptable.

Here are the most obvious examples of what I am talking about:

jenny-5.jpg

jenny-10.jpg

jenny-14.jpg

jenny-20.jpg

jenny-1.jpg

Thanks Derrel. I see exactly what you're getting at.

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, you will get more views and critique if you post images into the forum directly and you will likely get more useful and direct critique if you post one or two images, along with some information about it; what you did to get the shot, how & why you processed it as you did and the goals you had for the shot.

I do agree with Derrel that there are too many shots that are horizontal with a lot of dead space and with cropping of the model. Also, I think there are (overall) too many shots where she is standing flat, shoulders square to the camera. That can certainly work, but it is breaking a common rule...and if you are going to break the rules, you should have a good reason to do so.

Also, some of the photos work in a fashion sense...others are more of a portrait. So what was the goal of the photos?

Hey Mike, cheers for the feedback. The shoot was done mainly for fun, but also to try to branch out to a different style. I've done mainly family/couples portrait work before so this was a bit out of my element. I was happy with the outcome (considering my inexperience) but would like to continue to improve. Think this forum will be good for that.

NAKA, your level of open acknowledgement of C&C is exemplary. The way you handled my comments and Big Mike's earned you instant cred with me.

NAKA, your level of open acknowledgement of C&C is exemplary. The way you handled my comments and Big Mike's earned you instant cred with me.

The initiation is complete.

you seemed to have used cliche instagram effects in hopes of the images lookin good. But the poses are uninspired and the framing is pretty poor

Cheers! I came onto this forum looking for critique and I'm getting it. I hardly expected everyone to say 'amazing job!'

you seemed to have used cliche instagram effects in hopes of the images lookin good. But the poses are uninspired and the framing is pretty poor

Posing is definitely a weakness. I found it hard directing the model during the shoot (no experience to blame I guess). Instagram? I hope not but noted... anything that you liked about this set? what should I retain for next time?

Most reactions

Back