Fashion type photos...

The first one isn't bad at all! I would raise the shadows just a bit, and set the watch hands for a more appropriate time (10:10 is the norm as it usually doesn't block the brand name). The second however, you've let your light get away from you. The excess specularity on the toes of the shoes and wallet along with the blown or nearly blown whites of the watch face and shirt really hurt this image. Consider more diffusion and bringing your lights in on an angle.

I'm not sure what you want to hear about these two photos; they do have a sort of genuine, user-generated content, like they were shot maybe by a fashionable man, a regular guy...so maybe a little less-than-Madison-Avenue, maybe a little bit of deliberate imperfection, is a good thing? An art director might, or might not, like these photos. These might be perfect for their intended use. Hard to know. If they're for a blog or social media, sure, fine work.

Both of these have a slightly heavy-handed sort of Instagram filter type vibe to them. I see images like these relatively often these days. The first shot looks a bit dark, and the vignetting appears just a bit too heavy. I think the jeans should have been folded so the bottom of the pocket's stitching was shown, and the shirt needed to have been folded ever so slightly differently, so that the button at the bottom showed fully, and so that the palm tree embroidery had a bit of white shirt underneath it.

This second shot is the kind of thing a professional advertising shoot would have had a stylist on-hand to make sure ALL the details were 100 percent perfect. For example, the back of the iPhone is all scratched, and it shows because the lighting is specular and reveals a lot of detail. In the upper left hand corner, there's a board seam at an angle, but all the other flooring boards are shown lined up properly. How much space is allotted for the shoes at the bottom right edge is not in keeping with the way the jeans. Your camera was too far over to the right, and is being "aimed back at" the left side, causing the distortion that's making the floorboard in the big,empty area top left look wonky.

Overall, I think the second shot has a good idea: phone, fashion watch, wallet, jeans, shirt, shoes. But no belt? No socks? And the top shoe, it's angled up a bit at the toe region, which looks slightly 'off'. Working with a very tightly-framed shot with so few items in it makes precise framing and precise positioning and properness in all things. I think the jean pocket, the shirt fold, and the bent shoe are the things that make this feel just a bit 'off'.

The first one isn't bad at all! I would raise the shadows just a bit, and set the watch hands for a more appropriate time (10:10 is the norm as it usually doesn't block the brand name). The second however, you've let your light get away from you. The excess specularity on the toes of the shoes and wallet along with the blown or nearly blown whites of the watch face and shirt really hurt this image. Consider more diffusion and bringing your lights in on an angle.

Thank you very much. This was just a experiment so I can get some tips on how to make it better.

I'm not sure what you want to hear about these two photos; they do have a sort of genuine, user-generated content, like they were shot maybe by a fashionable man, a regular guy...so maybe a little less-than-Madison-Avenue, maybe a little bit of deliberate imperfection, is a good thing? An art director might, or might not, like these photos. These might be perfect for their intended use. Hard to know. If they're for a blog or social media, sure, fine work.

Both of these have a slightly heavy-handed sort of Instagram filter type vibe to them. I see images like these relatively often these days. The first shot looks a bit dark, and the vignetting appears just a bit too heavy. I think the jeans should have been folded so the bottom of the pocket's stitching was shown, and the shirt needed to have been folded ever so slightly differently, so that the button at the bottom showed fully, and so that the palm tree embroidery had a bit of white shirt underneath it.

This second shot is the kind of thing a professional advertising shoot would have had a stylist on-hand to make sure ALL the details were 100 percent perfect. For example, the back of the iPhone is all scratched, and it shows because the lighting is specular and reveals a lot of detail. In the upper left hand corner, there's a board seam at an angle, but all the other flooring boards are shown lined up properly. How much space is allotted for the shoes at the bottom right edge is not in keeping with the way the jeans. Your camera was too far over to the right, and is being "aimed back at" the left side, causing the distortion that's making the floorboard in the big,empty area top left look wonky.

Overall, I think the second shot has a good idea: phone, fashion watch, wallet, jeans, shirt, shoes. But no belt? No socks? And the top shoe, it's angled up a bit at the toe region, which looks slightly 'off'. Working with a very tightly-framed shot with so few items in it makes precise framing and precise positioning and properness in all things. I think the jean pocket, the shirt fold, and the bent shoe are the things that make this feel just a bit 'off'.

Thank you for the awesome critique. I will consider all those things in future. These were just experiment shots to get exactly this so I can improve it. Thank you so much! Those were all mine items and I dont own a brown belt and a black wouldnt go with brown shoes and I forgot about the socks :(

Most reactions

Back