Fast food is filth

bantor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jrcreations.bravehost.com
I was having my lunch today, and i looked over and saw a guy smoking. As he put his pack of smokes back in his pocket i caught a glimps of the picture on the from with the cancerous loung. Since i have seen this many times before i thought nothing more of it. Then i look to the other side of me and saw this person munching on this dripping with fat Big Mac, and then the pu the container in the garbage, and i thought of the smokes.

Now what i am getting at there is there needs to be pictures of like obese people, and cholestoral ridden arteries on the packs of fast food. I bet that there are just as many people getting ill from obesity related issues these days as there is poeple getting ill from smoke related ones. It is just a filth that is so overlooked people don't even realize that they are killing themselves every bite they take.

There are many alternatives. In fact if you did not bring a lunch to work, it takes just as long, or less time, to go to the closest grocery store and buy some fruit and a meet sandwich or something. It just doesn't make sence.

Just a random thought that was bugging me.

I don't think it's the fast food that are making people obese.

It's the lifestyle that we are all living now that is causing obesity.

If you ate apples all day, you would get overweight, just the same as if you ate cheeseburgers all day.

It's a simple maths equation. Calories in must equal calories used or you'll put on weight. Choosing which calories you eat, helps you fulfill the rest of your daily requirements, like getting enough calcium and vitamins etc.

So I don't think we can really blame it on fast food.

meysha has a point. but i think fast food does play some part in it, just not nearly as much as lifestyle. have yall heard of the movie super size me?

You know Meysha, you do give a good point, although i raelly do think that fast food is a very good reason so many people are getting overweight. There is no doubt that "Calories in must equal calories used ", but the simple truth is there are WAY more calories in a Big Mac, a large fries and a soda then there is in a peice of fruit, and a sadnwhich.

I would say (not statistically, but through observation) that the amount of people eating at fast food places is growing, so considering that it only seems reasonable that the high fat, high calorie food served at fast food places is a large contributor to the obesity "epidemic" if you will.

Relating to the diet and obesity issue I was just wondering if any of you Canucks watched that show on CBC tonight "Big Sugar" ...

It was pretty interesting in a Michael Moore-ish kind of way, not quite so abrasive though :mrgreen:

Blaming fast food is too easy...there can be tons of reasons...maybe some people physically are inable to excercise...maybe it's easier on the budget for some to east fast food...there are tons of reasons for people being obsese, but for some reason we like to try and box it up in a simple they're fat b/c they don't excercise or eat right...and that's not always the case.

yep I agree with you, fast food has more calories than a homemade equivalent (unless it's my boyfriend's mother's cooking - then it's worse).
And true more people are eating at fast food places. So yes your statement about more people becoming more overweight must be true.

But, it's not the 'fault' of the fast food. I think it's an education thing. And it is a shame that our lives have become so busy that we no longer have times to look after ourselves anymore. :-( :hug::

if you're fat, you can only blame yourself...it's a choice you make.

JonMikal said:
if you're fat, you can only blame yourself...it's a choice you make.

Not necessarily...there are medical conditions that prevent some from being able to help it...even if they eat right they still can be fat...

eromallagadnama said:
Not necessarily...there are medical conditions that prevent some from being able to help it...even if they eat right they still can be fat...

i had that in there but removed it...i believe that as well

I agree with both Meysha and eromallagadnama, there are some medical conditions that contribute to some of the obesity problems, and that education is playing a big role in the fact that people don't really realize that some of the things they are eating are actually contributing to the lack of health, which is why i said there should be some warning on the packs of fast food (and chocolate bars and many other high calorie food stuffs) like there is on cigarette packs.

All in all i guess what my point is is this: now in days, there are so many conveiniences. There are fast food resturaunts on every conrer, all the "snack" food is pack full of sugar or fats, or both for that matter, and i think that it is unfortunate that there is not more being done to show people that there are serious health risks involved in consuming this stuff. I beleive that therea are as many health problems corralating with poor diets as there is with smoking, and yet in comparison to what is being done to prevent smoking, there is very little being done to encourage healthy eating.

Let's face it though. A high proportion of the people who are obese do not suffer from one of these illnesses. In these cases obesity is caused by one thing: what you eat.

If you eat bad food and don't burn it off you get fat. People over complicate things with calorie watching and seeing how many calories you burn on the elliptical trainer. If you eat three good meals a day an lead an active lifestyle then you wont get fat, it's that simple. Its just lazy people that get fat most of the time.

Most reactions

Back