fast glass

Them was the days weren't they? All metal all manual gear made to last. Lenses you could take a tank out with. Wooden tripods that weighed near the same as a mini cooper or at least the wheel and tire from one. Developer and fixer fumes always frying the brain. That was photography by golly.

None of this mamby-pamby shrunk down.... plastic...carbon fiber...and computer stuff. :biglaugh:

Have you still got the FM2 and MD12? I sold the bulk back a few years ago to a fellow that was needing one, but I still have the bodies and the MD1 & MD2. I always wanted an MD100, but they were way out of the ball park expensive.

I used to use a surveyors tripod...you wanna talk about something that would stop a mini...:lol:

Unfortunately, I sold the FM2 setup to help upgrade to the mamby-pamby digital world. I regret it now..that camera had personality that today's cameras don't seem to have anymore. I will probably pick up another one in the near future. I enjoy digital, but a lot of the older cameras seemed to have something about them....kinda like owning the old hot-rod from high school.

Ok, I just have to toss this out after hearing the weight issues being mentioned. I am in my mid 50's (That's all ya need to know :lmao:) and have been shooting since I was 16. Dudes, the old guy here is telling ya, you all got to get out of the studio and to the gym once in a while. :eek:ldman:

LOL! I'm not that far behind you, but like wine (not vinegar) I get better with age. ;)

One of the advantages of age is that I've learned to use my head more than my muscle and know when to use good technique for hand-holding a large mass and what positions to use so that I *don't* use any muscle when not shooting. A nice big wide neoprene neck strap also helps.

I don't really go to gyms perse, I prefer the matt at my local local Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school. After something like 25 years of Kung-Fu, Karate, Hapkido and Aikido (man that stuff is all hard on the joints!), the last 6 years of BJJ are a refreshing change and I would say challenge the mind as much as the body in a fasion that no gym can match. I'm looking to add 1 lesson a week of Krav Maga for some added giggles.

All that to say that being in shape enough to hold a heavy camera for extended times is not really an issue for me unless I get lazy and start using bad technique.

Phranquey, proper rifle shooting technique is a perfect match to using a camera shake free... my friend was a sniper for the Canadian Armed Forces and taught me a ton of things that helped me extend my shutter times without blur. I know where you are coming from! :)

Does anyone remember that 'pistol grip' thingy you could get to help hold telephotos back in the seventies?

Didn't look as if it would be very effective but could have appealed to some macho types.

Does anyone remember that 'pistol grip' thingy you could get to help hold telephotos back in the seventies?

Didn't look as if it would be very effective but could have appealed to some macho types.

Yup, I remember those, and they are about the worst thing in the world you can use. Maintaining a grip like that will kill your forearm in a matter of a half-hour (or less).

When I got into photography I never expected to get strong shoulders as a result, but it's nice! Honestly more than strength even I think adjusting to the weight is pretty important, which can only be done over time. If you pay attention to what you're doing when not shooting at some kind of lengthy event-- for me, something like a race or a track meet-- it's possible to shoot all day with heavy gear and not have a problem. I spent two consecutive weekends shooting a D2x+300/2.8 handheld and did ok, because I was careful! And I'm not especially well built.

JerryPH;1569291]LOL! I'm not that far behind you, but like wine (not vinegar) I get better with age. ;)

One of the advantages of age is that I've learned to use my head more than my muscle and know when to use good technique for hand-holding a large mass and what positions to use so that I *don't* use any muscle when not shooting. A nice big wide neoprene neck strap also helps.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: YES!!!!!

I don't really go to gyms perse, I prefer the matt at my local local Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school. After something like 25 years of Kung-Fu, Karate, Hapkido and Aikido (man that stuff is all hard on the joints!), the last 6 years of BJJ are a refreshing change and I would say challenge the mind as much as the body in a fasion that no gym can match. I'm looking to add 1 lesson a week of Krav Maga for some added giggles.

All that to say that being in shape enough to hold a heavy camera for extended times is not really an issue for me unless I get lazy and start using bad technique.

Phranquey, proper rifle shooting technique is a perfect match to using a camera shake free... my friend was a sniper for the Canadian Armed Forces and taught me a ton of things that helped me extend my shutter times without blur. I know where you are coming from! :)

Shooting skills are a requirement for my job. The techniques of shooting and proper use of a camera go hand in hand. Couldn't have expressed it better if I had wanted too. :D

Remind me not to piss you off... lol

Funny....I was thinking the same thing, especially with the avatar.

Grumpy old man with a gun....."Damn kids, git off my land!!"

Most reactions

Back