Fast Tele Recommendation

TUX424

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys and gals,
I have been getting into sports photography over the course of the basketball season and i am looking to get more serious about sports photography for some more upcoming sports season baseball, football, etc. So right now i am shooting on a Nikon 50 f/1.8 (That I am Borrowing) and that has served me pretty well for the basketball season, i had to do a lot of cropping. I was wondering if i should keep buy a 50 f/1.8 or go towards a few other options. Those other options would be a Nikon 85 f/1.8, Tokina 50-135 f/2.8, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. So what do you think i should go for?

I was sorta leaning toward the Nikon 85mm F/1.8 for Night Shooting because i would get to be on the field for all of the games anyway the for long range a Nikon 55-200 VR which would only be useful during the day.

I would suggest the Sigma 70-200. It may not be as fast as the Nikon 85mm, but something tells me that an extra 35mm won't cut it, especially for sports photography. If you're going to buy a 70-200 lens, I would scout Ebay for a used Nikkor 80-200 F2.8 AF-D. From what I've heard, its better optically and has better build quality. A used Nikkor can be had for around the same price as a Sigma.

It is always useful to include a budget when asking for lens suggestions. Since you didn't, I will toss out my three favorite baseball/softball lenses. They are the 70-200 f2.8, (always) & either the 300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8 (depending on where I can shoot from).

Of the three the 70-200 f2.8 is the most realistic for most shooter in terms of cost. It provides decent coverage at a decent price and is suitable for night time games as well as day games. It also is an excellent lens to have in almost any kit for most types of photography.

Ya thats my bad for the whole no price thing...
I am looking to spend no more then $650 and i am really wanting to get a Nikon AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 and i'd really like to find one for that price just hope that i can find one.

Most reactions

Back