Feel like I've hit a brick wall in my photography, need advice & C&C

SJ_PhotoG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've only been shooting for about 6 months now but I feel like I've hit a brick wall in my photography. Are there any experienced photographers on here that have any advice for overcoming these obstacles specifically related to portrait photography? I just made a flickr with what I consider my best photographs taken over the past 6 months and as much as I love photography, I also love improving. If anyone can point out some consistent flaws in my photography I'd really appreciate it.

I think that part of the problem is that I've been shooting with the same model throughout most of the months and most of the same bland locations. Do you think that finding new models with different traits and shooting at new locations and just letting your creative side take over while being mindful of good technique, composition, and lighting would overcome this wall?

Heres my photography: Flickr: Tristate_PhotoG's Photostream

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and take a look at my photos and all the best.

I'd definatly suggest getting out there with some diffrent people. diffrent locations, diffrent envirements. find stuff that takes you out of your comfort zone and push yourself. If you continue to do the same thing over and over your just repeating. and not nessicarily growing.

Well guess how many walls I have had to scale in my 44 years as acommercial photographer. After awhile you get used to it and just move through it....you will to. Your redhead model is cute so I see why you are stuck on her. Shoot other girls, have projects and goals. Decide something you want to learn and go for it........ You will see it does get better, as you do. Be careful asthe walls get higher each time.

Where in NJ are you? I know all kinds of hidden little places in your state.

Try different lighting style and different time of the day. I wish I have model to work with like you do :(

Six months is not very long. Not very long at all. I have cheese in my fridge that's been aging longer than six months (seriously, I do). I went thru your Flickr. Every shot I saw had been done with the 50mm lens. That alone is rather stultifying. You have that, and the 18-55 zoom. Yes, shooting some pics of a different person would be helpful. I do see a lot of "sameness" in the sample pics you have, but then again, this is just from the past six months--which is a very SHORT time frame!!!! You don't seem to be making a lot of obvious mistakes--or, you are culling them out and not showing garbage, like so many new shooters do. I dunno...I think you WILL improve, especially if this is what you can make after only six months. Keep working at it. Get a book or two on photography, and see if you can study some of the lessons, learn them, and then put them into practice. Go to Goodwill...BUY a book or two, hopefully something published in the pre-digital era. Read it. Learn it. Enjoy the process. I think a NORMAL progression is rapid growth, leveling off, then growth, leveling off, growing, leveling off, and so on...you are probably ready to make the next step!!!!

Go shoot landscape for awhile or just something different. One thing I try is to go out with one lens only. Having only one option can bring out some creativity.

Good suggestions guys thanks. I've read through two books so far and they've helped me develop my photographic eye immensly (light, Science, Magic Vol.3, and Picture Perfect Practice). I think that I just need to work with new models and try out new locations such as the beach, boardwalk, heavily urban areas, etc.

Well, the boardwalk won't be there til spring from what I've heard, but walking down the strip should definitely get your eyes flying all over.

Thanks for reminding me about that, you're right though the city and hopefully going out with some new models for photo shoots should spark my creativity.

If you're going with new models, I might want to go with you haha

I, too, hit a wall a short time ago. I joined a photo club and found a friend to shoot with. Much more fun! Try being the model, so you can experience the other side of the lens.

This graph may help you feeling normal: Stages of a photographer :)

I too like portraits but my prevalent model is my wife - too shy or lazy to ask others. However, practicing with other genres also help to have a wider point of view on the preferred one.

Well, based on what i saw.. thats good that you keep trying new things. I do notice one thing. Every time you do off camera flash, you tend to do it either when the subject is in the shadow or in the dark. Why dont you start shooting with off camera flash when your subject is in the sun? You should try that. All of your shots you did in the sun, I dont think you used off camera flash. They all look too washed out.

Most reactions

Back